lack of rain

Bone Collector

Here in Mid TN we got a bunch of rain in July, but hardly any in August at least from the middle of August on. That trend has continued. Acorn crop looked good at the end of July, now it looks spotty. Maybe my eyes have slipped some more, but I can't help but think this mini drought we seem to be having is good for the acorn crop. Also makes planting anything difficult. Long term forecast doesn't show much rain in the next 14 days.

Anyhow just wanted to rant some 😂

deerhunter10

Making it really tough for those of us who don't have a drill. Feel like I'd be throwing money away by broadcasting seed right now.
Thankful we went to a drill, but our acorn crop looks about average to me the red oaks seem a little light maybe but hard to tell really.

scn

It must depend on where you live in MidTN. My yard is still totally green and needs to be cut at least every 4-5 days.

I laughed the other day when the channel 5 lady said Nashville got 3.17"for the month of August. I had dumped almost 4" out of a bucket from one Saturday storm. And we got about that much the preceding Saturday. I suspect my August total was well above 8".

DTM

I planted the end of July and got lucky with a few good rains to get my plot up and right before that week of extreme heat.

Livin2hunt

I planted Aug. 26. Got rain on 27th but not much since here in northern mid TN. I was lucky just broadcasting on top. That 27th rain was a monsoon and washed some of the seed out. I'll have to fill in where needed.
IMG_20230911_212013.jpg

BSK

Very dry since mid-August. Like scn, we got a LOT of rain in early August (about 8"), so soil had a good base to work from. Our acorn crop still looks amazing from the whites. Virtually none from the reds. Which means once the whites go to root late November, deer will be switching to food plots.

But getting those fall plots in is a problem. Been ready since late August and now no plantable rain in the forecast. I think this is going to be another year where we don't get the plots in until mid-October.

Bone Collector

Making it really tough for those of us who don't have a drill. Feel like I'd be throwing money away by broadcasting seed right now.
this is what I am worried about. I sprayed, but planned to broadcast, then mow the thatch down on it, but I don't know that there is enough thatch to protect the seeds without some rain. Very little in the 14 day forecast. Hopefully that changes.

Crappieaddict

I've sprayed, but not doing anything else until I get some hogs outta the way. If I don't get them under control fairly fast, they're gonna have the field plowed. And not in a good way.

BSK

Latest GFS run has substantial rain next Tuesday evening (West TN). But that's just one run. I want to see it stay in the forecast for three or four runs before I get excited.

Chiflyguy

We've gotten enough rain in Claiborne county to float Noah's Ark in front of my house.

themanpcl

I did throw and go last year after I mowed down and killed the plots with roundup. Everything same up pretty good for no equipment. If I do that for any other throw and go plots, I'm going to use a cultipacker. I had a buddy with his tractor, turn over my plots on Sat while i followed behind broadcasting (handheld) seed and had him go back over it after. Hoping we get some rain today!!!!!

Ski

I did throw and go last year after I mowed down and killed the plots with roundup. Everything same up pretty good for no equipment. If I do that for any other throw and go plots, I'm going to use a cultipacker. I had a buddy with his tractor, turn over my plots on Sat while i followed behind broadcasting (handheld) seed and had him go back over it after. Hoping we get some rain today!!!!!

We got a little rain today here in Coffee County. About the same on my Ohio place. I've not put anything down here yet but did up there. It's a mix of rye, oats, wheat, peas, and crimson clover. I put it down over a week ago but the forecasted rain didn't come. Should be ok if chipmunks and crows didn't eat it all. One more plot will get Durana but it needs some work yet so I'm going to be late getting it down. It's always something.

themanpcl

We got a little rain today here in Coffee County. About the same on my Ohio place. I've not put anything down here yet but did up there. It's a mix of rye, oats, wheat, peas, and crimson clover. I put it down over a week ago but the forecasted rain didn't come. Should be ok if chipmunks and crows didn't eat it all. One more plot will get Durana but it needs some work yet so I'm going to be late getting it down. It's always something.
that's why some people play golf and some people hunt

Latest posts