Killed my best buck to date with my bow

snaildarter

I saw this deer last Thursday (9/29/16) morning at about 7:45am, but he was 75 yards away and never gave me a shot. So I climbed down around 11 and moved my stand about 45 yards up the ridge and cut a shooting lane where I thought he would come from. Friday I got in my stand while it was still dark. About 7:30 I hear deer coming, but from the opposite direction I expected. It was a doe and her two fawns, which I had also seen the day before. They walked right under my stand and fed on maple leaves from the shooting lane I'd cut the day before. They stayed there eating for a good 10 to 15 minutes. If they went any further I'm positive they would have winded me since the wind was in the exact opposite direction it was the morning before. I was watching the doe and then I heard the crack of a twig and there he was 20 yards in front of me. He was in a thick area that I did not cut a shooting lane. D%mn I thought I'm not going to get a shot. Slowly he fed up the ridge and I had one hole in between two small maples that if he stepped into I'd have a shot. I drew and he stepped in the hole and it was all over in about 5 minutes. Slight quartering away shot through both lungs. I saw him crash. This deer is by no means a monster, but it came off my small piece of land with my bow. It is by far the largest bodied deer I've seen on my place and he was not very old (maybe 3.5). I was ecstatic.

snaildarter

xatxay":13kx48c8 said:
VERY Nice! How did you clean that skull so quick?

I actually had it done by Sunday morning. I skinned it out right after I killed him, its much easier to do while they are "fresh". Get all the meat off you can during this process, eyes included. I then simmered it in water with dish soap and borax in a large canning pot that I only use for skulls, simmer don't boil. If you got over about 200 degrees on the water the bones come apart. Then every hour take it out and scrape meat and other connective tissues off and put back on the stove with fresh water. I found a set of dental type tools at harbor freight that worked really well for all the crevices. Make sure you get all the soft parts out of the sinuses and especially all of the brain, it will reek forever if you leave any in there. I let it dry in the sun and put regular 3% peroxide on it, just to lighten some. Rinse and allow to dry again. I then put matte hod podge on it to seal it.

My wife is a saint to put up with this in our kitchen as it does produce a distinct odor, but she actually likes these type mounts.

Very time consuming, but alot cheaper than what they are charging at the taxidermist.

DaveB

Yes, a really nice buck, Congratulations on threading the needle because those are not as easy as folks claim.

And a Tip of the Hat to your Mrs for being good about the kitchen.

Latest posts