Buck killed with arrow stuck in it

Ski

I've shown this before but this thread seems appropriate to show again. This buck had been shot twice before with a bow, had a broadhead encapsulated in one of his shoulders, and had the tip of another buck's antler tip embedded in his skull plate. And he was alive & well & moving spry.

Here he is at a scrape and you can see the huge scar from the entry wound of a previous archery shot. He toted that scar for at least two years before I killed him.

1702304728094.jpeg

Here's the exit wound from same shot. It was healed up & calloused but not closed. I could put my finger in and touch the membrane covering his ribs. The exit wound was a round hole but the entry wound had scarred closed and showed two offset blades that look like those newer double bevel heads. Regardless that arrow passed all the way through and had to have hit both lungs. No idea how it missed his heart. But it's one clear example that even the perfect shot doesn't necessarily guarantee a dead deer. That's a double lung through the shoulder out the other side pass through. Imagine how that hunter felt after tracking what had to be an incredible blood trail and not finding a dead buck at the end of it.

1702304821891.jpeg

If that wasn't enough I found this head and few inches of arrow lodged/encapsulated high in the same shoulder as the exit wound from the other shot. It was much older but it's almost exactly the same scenario as OP's buck. He survived it just fine and went on with life as if nothing was wrong.

1702305471527.jpeg

And last & probably least was this broken antler tip the taxidermist & I found as he was taking the hide off his skull. Another buck's antler broke off in this buck's skull and it healed over. Poor fellow had a rough existence.

1702305700540.jpeg

Here's a clearer pic I took with my phone of that entry wound scar as he lie dead after I shot him. The lesson I took from this deer was that it doesn't matter how awesome you think your set-up is or shooting skills are. The deer doesn't have to die for you. Anybody who archery hunts enough, especially hunts adult bucks, will experience failure regardless of how bad@$$ you think your equipment is. This buck humbled two hunters before me, and other bucks have humbled me. It sucks wounding an animal and the worst thing we can do criticize the hunter's choices because at some point that shoe will inevitably be on our own feet. Sometimes it's possible to do everything right and still get bad results.

1702305752658.jpeg

knightrider

I've shown this before but this thread seems appropriate to show again. This buck had been shot twice before with a bow, had a broadhead encapsulated in one of his shoulders, and had the tip of another buck's antler tip embedded in his skull plate. And he was alive & well & moving spry.

Here he is at a scrape and you can see the huge scar from the entry wound of a previous archery shot. He toted that scar for at least two years before I killed him.

View attachment 206979

Here's the exit wound from same shot. It was healed up & calloused but not closed. I could put my finger in and touch the membrane covering his ribs. The exit wound was a round hole but the entry wound had scarred closed and showed two offset blades that look like those newer double bevel heads. Regardless that arrow passed all the way through and had to have hit both lungs. No idea how it missed his heart. But it's one clear example that even the perfect shot doesn't necessarily guarantee a dead deer. That's a double lung through the shoulder out the other side pass through. Imagine how that hunter felt after tracking what had to be an incredible blood trail and not finding a dead buck at the end of it.

View attachment 206980

If that wasn't enough I found this head and few inches of arrow lodged/encapsulated high in the same shoulder as the exit wound from the other shot. It was much older but it's almost exactly the same scenario as OP's buck. He survived it just fine and went on with life as if nothing was wrong.

View attachment 206983

And last & probably least was this broken antler tip the taxidermist & I found as he was taking the hide off his skull. Another buck's antler broke off in this buck's skull and it healed over. Poor fellow had a rough existence.

View attachment 206985

Here's a clearer pic I took with my phone of that entry wound scar as he lie dead after I shot him. The lesson I took from this deer was that it doesn't matter how awesome you think your set-up is or shooting skills are. The deer doesn't have to die for you. Anybody who archery hunts enough, especially hunts adult bucks, will experience failure regardless of how bad@$$ you think your equipment is. This buck humbled two hunters before me, and other bucks have humbled me. It sucks wounding an animal and the worst thing we can do criticize the hunter's choices because at some point that shoe will inevitably be on our own feet. Sometimes it's possible to do everything right and still get bad results.

View attachment 206986
Amazes me everytime you post this! Tough critters at times, seems sometimes you hit em in the big toe and they give up the ghost😂

StalkingWolf

That broadhead didn't fail. It looks like it did exactly what it was designed to do. The problem is that the arrow didn't have enough umph to get it through. That's either because the bow was too low poundage or it hit the ridge of the scapula. A different broadhead wouldn't have changed a thing.

The only time that ever happened to me was with an aluminum arrow and Thunderhead 125. Arrow weight was pushing 600gr from a 60lb bow and I watched in disbelief as it bounced off the buck's shoulder from 10yds away. Half inch away and it would have blown through like hot butter. But it hit just right and couldn't penetrate. It happens.
It is also possible that the arrow deflected before impacting the deer. That would throw the arrow flight out of alignment which would severely reduce penetration.

FLTENNHUNTER1

Maybe. But maybe not. I've got an 80lb Hoyt RX at 30.5" and shoot 240sp arrows with 75gr brass inserts. On the archery power spectrum I'm pegging near the top. But I'm not confident my arrow would bust through shoulder. Experience has told me that the odds are not in my favor so I don't even try it.

My preferred shot isn't glamorous and doesn't make me or my bow look like a hero. I aim exactly the way I'd teach a kid to aim, which is in the broadest part of the ribcage where the lungs are huge and no threat of hard bone. Doesn't make for a horror movie blood trail but it results in a dead deer inside 100yds of the shot. A lot of folks look at the holes in my deer and think I gut shot them because it's mid body, but the guts are no nearer than the shoulder is. It's nothing but lungs. I'm a screw up by nature and have authored the second volume of Murphey's Law. I need idiot proof lol
What weight broadhead and what type?

Ski

too many variable with a mechanical imo. Another issue is that they try to achieve too large a cutting diameter which is a huge detriment to penetration

It's a matter of hydraulics. A 1" head that penetrates 12" deep creates a hole with 9.42 cubic inches volume. A 2" head that only goes half as deep at 6" creates a hole twice as big at 18.85 cubic inches of volume.

I've got no dog in the fight as I shoot them all and have no issues with any of them. I'm just posting some food for thought.

knightrider

too many variable with a mechanical imo. Another issue is that they try to achieve too large a cutting diameter which is a huge detriment to penetration
Outside of the soulder"nuckle" not much penetration is really needed on these thin spindly whitetails, there isnt a broadhead made that wont get the job done on a Tennessee whitetail with proper placement

Dumbluck

I don't care what broadhead you shoot, if you shoot a buck in his shoulder like the deer in the OP your going to lose that deer.

All I shoot is expandables and I have never lost a deer since I started shooting them. If I shoot one wrong I will lose him end of story, but I'd also lose him if I shot him wrong with a fixed.

I shoot expandables because they are so incredibly accurate and that's what I'm after when I'm bow hunting.

I shot a 5.5 year old buck at 50 yards with that exact broadhead this year and it went all the way through him and I only pull 50 to maybe 60 lbs. Bowhunting is all about shot placement unless your shooting some kind of an exploding bazooka tip. Lol

Latest posts