Son with a nice bonus buck

TN Larry

My son got drawn for a juvenile hunt this weekend. This is his last year to juvenile hunt so my days sitting with him are numbered. He is on fall break and I'm still recovering from hip surgery so we rented a cabin and came up on Thursday. I still can't walk great, but the doctor said I couldn't hurt myself and to walk as much as I could stand.

We got to our spot this morning and someone was already there. I have no idea how they got there but was across the hollow from where we were gonna sit. We backtracked and set down in another pretty spot with quite a bit of deer sign.

As we were sitting there waiting for daylight this morning, I thought that my days sitting with him are now numbered as he doesn't need ol dad to sit with him during regular season anymore and his last year to juvenile hunt. Out of all the deer that he's killed, he's never killed a good one on a juvenile hunt. I normally don't pray for the the Lord to send us a deer but did this morning.

About an hour after daylight, what I'm pretty sure was the deer we killed and a couple buddies got spooked by the people in our original spot and came by us. I grunted at them as they started to stop and they ran instead of stopping. Dang it! He blamed me for grunting and I blamed him for not having his gun up yet, but we did nothing wrong. It just wasn't meant to be this morning.

We had planned to sit all day as my hip is only good for one walk and nothing else to do anyways. We saw two fawns mid morning and nothing else until about 30 mins before dark. As the wind started to calm down, I prayed again for something good to happen. About 30 minutes later, we heard a deer coming and out popped a good buck. He got him stopped about 45 yards from us and turned the 6.5 manbun loose on him. The deer ran parallel and then towards us and fell about 40 yards from us. It all happened in about 5 seconds.

He stuck it out and earned this one as it got pretty boring mid day with the wind whipping. I tried to nap a little mid day but don't think he let his guard down much the entire 12 hours that we were there. I can't help but say the good Lord had a hand in blessing us with this one and giving me another opportunity to look down the gun barrel to see him kill one. We are worn out, me from walking and him from dragging, and sleeping in tomorrow morning.

Sorry for the long read but still pretty excited.

0295764F-A285-4319-BCB5-5DDAFA7974A5.jpeg
5C2F8217-093E-401F-96B3-B63611EF4D75.jpeg
C2A14D2A-34C5-4A9F-93B1-27E096D064B1.jpeg

AT Hiker

Thank you for sharing this.
First off, congrats to both of you. I also wish you a speedy recovery.
Now, to get in on the juicy stuff….it's truly a blessing to read these stories about a father/mentor counting down their days with someone. I lost my grandfather a couple years back, it never really dawned on me that he was counting down his days with me…I was too busy counting down my days with him, unknowingly of course.
I suppose, when everyone does the right thing, it all works out and we all get the best of it.
Kudos to you. You get it, you know what "it's" about. Many of us can learn a thing a or two, or three, from this post. Or at least get roped back into reality.
So, thank you!

Also, you deserve every aspect of being excited.

TN Larry

Thank you for sharing this.
First off, congrats to both of you. I also wish you a speedy recovery.
Now, to get in on the juicy stuff….it's truly a blessing to read these stories about a father/mentor counting down their days with someone. I lost my grandfather a couple years back, it never really dawned on me that he was counting down his days with me…I was too busy counting down my days with him, unknowingly of course.
I suppose, when everyone does the right thing, it all works out and we all get the best of it.
Kudos to you. You get it, you know what "it's" about. Many of us can learn a thing a or two, or three, from this post. Or at least get roped back into reality.
So, thank you!

Also, you deserve every aspect of being excited.
Thanks man, that means a lot. I've tried my best to teach and show him everything I can and know. It was a good day just to spend time with him which included some goofing off mainly by me mid day when the wind was blowing. I got a walking stick to walk with, and he wasn't amused when I was poking him with it or trying to slip around the tree on him when getting up to pee. Good times and this made me realize that those times wouldn't have been had if we had killed this morning. Very blessed day!

Snake

Kudos to you for hanging in there brother , no way with my back could I set 12 hours . Congratulations to you both ...you for the mentoring and him for listening to his dear ole dad . Got that Yuchi buck .... hope I draw it again before I quit hunting as I have absolutely no desire at this moment . Great day for you all , miss hunting with my grandson . Praise our almighty God for answering a hunter's prayer !!!!

Latest posts