Buck killed with arrow stuck in it

Ski

Or the shooter took a ridiculously long shot and the ummph was lost in flight. ;)

That's certainly possible but having it happen to me at only 10yds, I wouldn't immediately assume the shooter took a long shot. That's a very, very tough bone to get through. It's nature's armor for protecting the heart. I've seen people blow through the scapula of younger deer but not often an adult buck.

redblood

Rage no collar

A fixed blade broadhead can do the same thing if it hits the shoulder.
I shot 31 " draw, 73 pounds, 250
Spine arrow and a heavy magnus stinger 2 blade head . If i shot s deer in that spot there is no way that arrow stays in the deer. Not guaranteeing the deer dies (although i think it would, but he aint gonna be walking around it in him

Ski

I shot 31 " draw, 73 pounds, 250
Spine arrow and a heavy magnus stinger 2 blade head . If i shot s deer in that spot there is no way that arrow stays in the deer. Not guaranteeing the deer dies (although i think it would, but he aint gonna be walking around it in him

Maybe. But maybe not. I've got an 80lb Hoyt RX at 30.5" and shoot 240sp arrows with 75gr brass inserts. On the archery power spectrum I'm pegging near the top. But I'm not confident my arrow would bust through shoulder. Experience has told me that the odds are not in my favor so I don't even try it.

My preferred shot isn't glamorous and doesn't make me or my bow look like a hero. I aim exactly the way I'd teach a kid to aim, which is in the broadest part of the ribcage where the lungs are huge and no threat of hard bone. Doesn't make for a horror movie blood trail but it results in a dead deer inside 100yds of the shot. A lot of folks look at the holes in my deer and think I gut shot them because it's mid body, but the guts are no nearer than the shoulder is. It's nothing but lungs. I'm a screw up by nature and have authored the second volume of Murphey's Law. I need idiot proof lol

BSK

Not so, on the infected and dies.
Killed one that had a broadhead (fixed blades) stuck in the top of the shoulder blades.
Hide had healed over it. He was chasing two does when I shot him, showed no signs of impairment.
Had a buck by my neighborhood that had a foot dangling. The next year the leg had healed ridged but no infection
He just walked with a limp. Saw him for two more years. Didn't see him this year, maybe he didn't make it through the deer season or he moved territory.
I've seen deer survive the most horrific wounds and live long lives afterwards. I've seen quite a few deer who lost a leg due to any number of injury types, and it just healed over and they lived long lives with only three legs.

Similar to the topic for this thread, I shot a doe years ago during MZ season. She showed no signs of injury. Yet when I was butchering her, one hip seemed slightly atrophied. As I was taking her apart, I found a fixed-blade broadhead in her pelvis. In fact, the broadhead had been shot straight down onto the doe and it was lodged vertically in her pelvis, with the exposed blades blocking her vaginal canal. The bone of the pelvis had completely encased the portion of the broadhead that was stuck in the pelvic girdle, so the broadhead had clearly been there for a couple of years. I just feel sorry for any buck that had tried to breed her!

Creek

a crossbow bolt bleeds energy much quicker than an arrow from a bow

I found this information on the first website I looked up;

VELOCITY
Velocity is another important factor to consider when comparing crossbows and compound bows.

Crossbows generally have a higher velocity than compound bows due to their shorter power stroke and heavier bolts.

This means they can shoot with more force and accuracy at longer distances.

Compound bows, on the other hand, have a lower velocity due to their longer power stroke and lighter arrows.

However, they are still capable of shooting with enough force and accuracy to take down smaller game animals.

Here is another site - https://shootbigbucks.com/are-crossbows-more-powerful-than-compound-bows/

Harold Money jr

I'm OLD SCHOOL, I know that, but….
The deal with these new bows is they are hard to get fixed blades to fly consistently so guys quit trying to tune. So, what most guys are doing is shooting the lightest arrows with mechanicals to get the fastest speeds. A young guy I know has a bow that shoots way over 300fps with light arrows and rages. He said it's rare that an arrow passes through a deer for him. All I've ever shot was 525gr+ arrows with thunderheads and Magnus stingers out of slow by todays standards 240fps. These setups always go all the way through one time it went through 2 at the same time. I require 2 holes 1 in, 1 out.

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
I'm OLD SCHOOL, I know that, but….
The deal with these new bows is they are hard to get fixed blades to fly consistently so guys quit trying to tune. So, what most guys are doing is shooting the lightest arrows with mechanicals to get the fastest speeds. A young guy I know has a bow that shoots way over 300fps with light arrows and rages. He said it's rare that an arrow passes through a deer for him. All I've ever shot was 525gr+ arrows with thunderheads and Magnus stingers out of slow by todays standards 240fps. These setups always go all the way through one time it went through 2 at the same time. I require 2 holes 1 in, 1 out.
This is what I was going to say. A lot of guys can't tune a bow to shoot right with a fixed blade so they stick with mechanicals, and they work great most all of the time. I'll add that it's not just that it's a mechanical broadhead, but the fact that the arrow is not flying dead straight on impact which GREATLY lessens forward momentum on impact. I've had it happen in my younger days.

tn gunman

I've been bow hunting since the mid 1990s and have never used a fixed blade broadhead, never had a problem killing deer with mechanicals, saying that I don't use the brand found in the bucks shoulder, and I don't shoot deer at long ranges or at funky angles, fixed or mechanical both do the job, shot placement is more critical than broad head type IMO. And not all mechanical broadheads are the same, some work way better than others, probably the same way with fixed blades, another factor with both broad head types that often gets over looked is blade sharpness, it does makes a difference.

Creek

When shooting with any bow and arrow, I believe anytime "moving parts" can be eliminated, it will increase the chances of success more consistently.

In my opinion, unvaluable as it may be, there are too many hunters focused on leaving a big blood trail when my primary purpose is to successfully pop a hole through both lungs. Also, due to inconsistent angles leading to a lesser advantage of a successful kill, I will never shoot a deer from any elevation other than from the ground, be it arrow or bullet.

But all this comes from a dumb country boys point of view, so it can be taken with a grain of salt. ;)

Wiley

Glad that deer was taken out. I've seen completely healed deer and badly infected deer from an arrow that was still in them so that situation can and does go both ways. I don't even shoot deer in the shoulder with my rifle. I want to save all the meat that I can and behind the shoulder or a high neck shot are my choices.

Latest posts