Buck killed with arrow stuck in it

Ridgeline300

Buddy shot this buck Friday with an arrow sticking out of the shoulder. The buck was not limping or showing any signs of injury, walking and acting normal. We were really curious as to how much penetration and what broad head was used. Got it home and skinned it out to find that only the broad head had penetrated, so only about 2" of penetration. I wonder what poundage they were shooting, had to be low I'd think. I know it's a shoulder shot so you might not expect good penetration but 2"seems ridiculous. Not sure what broad head this is exactly but I wouldn't recommend, lol.

Attachments

• Resized_20231208_080554_7625.jpeg
    Resized_20231208_080554_7625.jpeg
    441.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4269.jpeg
    IMG_4269.jpeg
    424.7 KB · Views: 17
  • Resized_20231208_180452_4174.jpeg
    Resized_20231208_180452_4174.jpeg
    75 KB · Views: 17

kaizen leader

Buddy shot this buck Friday with an arrow sticking out of the shoulder. The buck was not limping or showing any signs of injury, walking and acting normal. We were really curious as to how much penetration and what broad head was used. Got it home and skinned it out to find that only the broad head had penetrated, so only about 2" of penetration. I wonder what poundage they were shooting, had to be low I'd think. I know it's a shoulder shot so you might not expect good penetration but 2"seems ridiculous. Not sure what broad head this is exactly but I wouldn't recommend, lol.
I made the same mistake and shot a good one with my crossbow in the shoulder too. The other side though and a different tip. I would like to know what happened to that one. No blood either. I learned my lesson on where to shoot.

casjoker

Fixed head, 99% sure that a dead and recovered deer. I have tried mechanicals a few times. I always go back to fixed because of issues like this deer. Nice deer. I'm glad someone was able to kill him. Eventually, that wound gets infected and causes a long, crappy death for the animal.

agelessssone

Fixed head, 99% sure that a dead and recovered deer. I have tried mechanicals a few times. I always go back to fixed because of issues like this deer. Nice deer. I'm glad someone was able to kill him. Eventually, that wound gets infected and causes a long, crappy death for the animal.
Not so, on the infected and dies.
Killed one that had a broadhead (fixed blades) stuck in the top of the shoulder blades.
Hide had healed over it. He was chasing two does when I shot him, showed no signs of impairment.
Had a buck by my neighborhood that had a foot dangling. The next year the leg had healed ridged but no infection
He just walked with a limp. Saw him for two more years. Didn't see him this year, maybe he didn't make it through the deer season or he moved territory.

Snake

Looks like a rage trypan.
Exactly what I was going to say . Two bladed wide cut . I killed four deer with those first expandable broadheads "Puckets" I think was what they was called then lost four . Quit using them went back to Muzzys . Friends dad killed a deer once that had a broadhead right under its spine . Completely surrounded by some kind of gristle looking web . The deer had that broadhead for at least over a year and doing fine.

Ski

That broadhead didn't fail. It looks like it did exactly what it was designed to do. The problem is that the arrow didn't have enough umph to get it through. That's either because the bow was too low poundage or it hit the ridge of the scapula. A different broadhead wouldn't have changed a thing.

The only time that ever happened to me was with an aluminum arrow and Thunderhead 125. Arrow weight was pushing 600gr from a 60lb bow and I watched in disbelief as it bounced off the buck's shoulder from 10yds away. Half inch away and it would have blown through like hot butter. But it hit just right and couldn't penetrate. It happens.

MUP

That broadhead didn't fail. It looks like it did exactly what it was designed to do. The problem is that the arrow didn't have enough umph to get it through. That's either because the bow was too low poundage or it hit the ridge of the scapula. A different broadhead wouldn't have changed a thing.

The only time that ever happened to me was with an aluminum arrow and Thunderhead 125. Arrow weight was pushing 600gr from a 60lb bow and I watched in disbelief as it bounced off the buck's shoulder from 10yds away. Half inch away and it would have blown through like hot butter. But it hit just right and couldn't penetrate. It happens.
Or the shooter took a ridiculously long shot and the ummph was lost in flight. ;)

Latest posts