KIDS

muddyboots

I carried my oldest daughter at 4. We were in a shoot house and it was about 4:15. I said honey it's about to get dark they will start moving any minute. She looked at me dead in the face and said "get dark?" I said yes honey in about an hour. She said I'm ready to go so we left. lol lol.

She killed her first deer and Turkey at 6 and she still goes with me now at 14. Her time is limited with playing 3 sports and high school stuff but we still manage some afternoons. I would not trade those days for nothing.

Attachments

• A2BF085C-563A-4333-98D2-69D6AA468186.jpeg
    A2BF085C-563A-4333-98D2-69D6AA468186.jpeg
    238.8 KB · Views: 20
  • CE728768-C99A-4220-9F3F-36B752177606.jpeg
    CE728768-C99A-4220-9F3F-36B752177606.jpeg
    564.6 KB · Views: 21

backyardtndeer

My oldest daughter was about 5 the first time she went with me. She killed her first deer when she was 9. Took her to Wyoming when she was 14, she killed an antelope and mulie. Before she went off to college in Knoxville, she always enjoyed when I took her. Her major was wildlife management. She didn't finish though, and she doesn't really have much interest in hunting now. Afraid some people she got mixed up with over there in a retail job did her no favors.

Second daughter wasn't really as much into hunting, she did go on the youth hunt several times though and killed one doe. Think she was 8 the first time I took her and 10 when she killed her deer.

Third daughter went with me several times, and she when she was 11 or 12 she passed a young buck on the youth hunt. Her mother took her later on in the regular rifle season and talked her into killing the deer she passed up when I took her. She is 16 now and has killed a couple big bodied bucks. The last couple years her band activities in school have interfered with her hunting.
DSC08317resized.JPG

My son is 11, he is autistic. He wants to go, but spiders freak him out. Hoping to get him some time in the stand this year.

Last edited:

losthunter

I'm kind of in the reverse situation here. My son was 9 when he wanted to hunt. I grew up fishing not hunting so I didn't have a clue but being the dad I am I said let's do it. 9 years later he's hunting on his own most of the time and I'm still in the woods every weekend. I can't thank him enough for getting me into it. I could write books on the dumb things we did trying to figure it out. We are now both successful in our hunting every season.

losthunter

I'm kind of in the reverse situation here. My son was 9 when he wanted to hunt. I grew up fishing not hunting so I didn't have a clue but being the dad I am I said let's do it. 9 years later he's hunting on his own most of the time and I'm still in the woods every weekend. I can't thank him enough for getting me into it. I could write books on the dumb things we did trying to figure it out. We are now both successful in our hunting every season.
Actually I'm sitting in the woods now as I'm typing this.

Gravey

My son was 3 or 4 the first time I took him. Had a blind set up and carried a backpack full of snacks and toys. He played a little then fell asleep and woke up ready to go home to momma. There was a doe out there and I asked him if he wanted me to shoot it. He said yes so I did. He killed his first one when he was 7.

JCDEERMAN

Plan on taking my 5 yo daughter the weekend of the 15th. Just planning on the last 2 hours of light. I'll let her decide on the mornings, but mainly plan on taking her with me putting out mock scrapes and placing/checking cameras

gobblesandgrunts

Took my oldest when he was 3 to the woods. Took him on his first real deer hunt at 6, and last few years we have been a handful of times. Took him turkey hunting too. He never wants to sit linger than 30 min and he is ready to go. But at my family farms you are lucky to see a deer in a couple hour sit. I hate it for him that he is 9 and really don't even care about going because he never sees anything. And I get it. Sitting there as a 9 year old and not seeing a deer every other time he has been hunting with me. Hard as a dad because I would love for him to want to go with me everytime. Going to try to get him out this weekend or next and hopefully he will want to go and hopefully he will be able to see his first deer in Stand. My 6 year old is chomping at the bit to go thus year. Never took him on a true hunt yet. His mouth don't like to stop moving much when his eyes are open lol going to get him out this year as well though. Wouldn't trade anything with the time i have had with my boys in the woods for anything. I love teaching them what a rub is or where turkeys have been scratching and we walk 10 yards and it is, dad, dad, a rub! Lol