Hunting Trips W/ Kids

19_A_CPT

Wife had to go to the office this afternoon to update her computer for work. I decided i would take advantage of the afternoon and sneak back to my shooting house. Great idea this time of the year, right? Well yeah, so i was left with the three boys... So here we go with tablets on mute and Goodwill camo on. After finally convincing the loud one to whisper, we cut out walking to the blind.. Mind you, theres a group of three oaks by the gate; it sounded like a herd of buffalo walking through the crispy leaves.. Finally getting to the blind, i set the two littles in and we all get climbed up and in. It's a 4'x8' house fully enclosed with a large shooting window up front and smaller 12" ones on the sides. Slipped the young ones (both 4) the tablets and set them up in chairs on the left side and my oldest on the right side of me. All is well..... wiggle worms can make the fold out chairs creak and crumple in the loudest ways. And two couldnt stop sneezing and/or coughing.. Finally one the sneezys fell asleep (Thank god) and i fished the tablet from his hands and gave to the other 4 year old because his had died.. Then he had to pee; got him to hold it until right at dark and we got down. Undid his overalls and his pants and he commenced to watering the trees. Pulled the other two from the blind and got them on the ground. Reached down to help the wizzer with his overalls and sure enough he had peed on both lapels of his overalls. Finally me and the herd of buffaloes headed back to the house without a lick of silence in the air and thankful the wind was blowing away from ole pee puddle. I think im going to take the Melatonin next trip.

REM7

Lol...remember those days. Just some advice for next outing..FIELD WIPES. I figured this out after I had cut a few of my sleeves off.

bwgarrett3

Haha! Great read. I know at the time it is very frustrating. My son is only 9 but I can already look back on the times he was 3, 4 and 5 and miss how much "fun" those days were.

Rammer Jammer

Wife had to go to the office this afternoon to update her computer for work. I decided i would take advantage of the afternoon and sneak back to my shooting house. Great idea this time of the year, right? Well yeah, so i was left with the three boys... So here we go with tablets on mute and Goodwill camo on. After finally convincing the loud one to whisper, we cut out walking to the blind.. Mind you, theres a group of three oaks by the gate; it sounded like a herd of buffalo walking through the crispy leaves.. Finally getting to the blind, i set the two littles in and we all get climbed up and in. It's a 4'x8' house fully enclosed with a large shooting window up front and smaller 12" ones on the sides. Slipped the young ones (both 4) the tablets and set them up in chairs on the left side and my oldest on the right side of me. All is well..... wiggle worms can make the fold out chairs creak and crumple in the loudest ways. And two couldnt stop sneezing and/or coughing.. Finally one the sneezys fell asleep (Thank god) and i fished the tablet from his hands and gave to the other 4 year old because his had died.. Then he had to pee; got him to hold it until right at dark and we got down. Undid his overalls and his pants and he commenced to watering the trees. Pulled the other two from the blind and got them on the ground. Reached down to help the wizzer with his overalls and sure enough he had peed on both lapels of his overalls. Finally me and the herd of buffaloes headed back to the house without a lick of silence in the air and thankful the wind was blowing away from ole pee puddle. I think im going to take the Melatonin next trip.
This is hilarious to me!! Only because I just experienced this with mine a couple weeks ago.

hillbillyfab

Thanks for sharing. Your story brings back lots of memories. My son is now 12 and it just seems like yesterday when I was taking him to ground blinds on our place. First time I brought him at that age, he couldn't sit still, couldn't be quiet. Man I was frustrated. Just knew we wasn't going to kill anything, let alone see anything. I took a long deep breath and had a moment of clarity for the first time during this trip. It finally dawned on me that HE was having a good time being in the woods with me, it was ME that wasn't enjoying being with him and the opportunity that I was so fortunate to be apart of. From that day forward I've never had a bad trip, as long as my little buddy was with me.

Bone Collector

I have one and feel your pain. He is getting better, but he wants to see deer. If he doesn't for 20-30 minutes he starts getting antsy. I usually take a phone for him and let him play games on mute. he likes to look for deer in between games, but he can be noisy, point at deer, whine if he is not seeing deer, etc. He also has to pee and I have to help him get out of his bibs. It is usually fun though.

morgancountry

My little ones are 6 and 2. My oldest loves going and pretty good about being quiet. Hard part is getting him to sit still for longer than an hour. Last weekend I took him and the 2 year old little girl. Yeah we definitely weren't seeing any deer but that was just fine with me. When I go hunt by myself that is definitely my time and I'm super focused on trying to get a good buck. But with them, it's just all about them and trying to teach them and talk to them about the outdoors and animals and just enjoying time with them. Also, for little kids I think squirrel hunting is better because they see more action and don't have to sit still for so long. I know it's hard to "waste" a deer hunting day on squirrels, but I did that one morning 2 years ago with my son during November, and we had an absolute great morning and he had a blast!

JeepKuntry

Carleigh does well for a couple hours in the morning. Then you better have something for her to watch to pass time. I bring headphones. Oh the joys of a little girl needing to pee. One day you will look back on that day and smile.

Latest posts