Jalapeño pepper??

JCDEERMAN

You did right. They're too hot 🤣. Bell peppers are better

No clue. If you have other milder pepper plants, I've had them cross-pollinate and been spicier or less spicy as desired.

cbhunter

dad has three plants and I bet he has pulled 250+ off of them. They are spicy but just right. Have y'all ever made cowboy candy out of them? I eat that stuff daily in sandwiches, soups, chili, I just discovered it last year and I'm addicted!

JCDEERMAN

dad has three plants and I bet he has pulled 250+ off of them. They are spicy but just right. Have y'all ever made cowboy candy out of them? I eat that stuff daily in sandwiches, soups, chili, I just discovered it last year and I'm addicted!
Will have to try doing those. I like the sweet heat jalapeños that are store bought

chimneyman

Ok what's cowboy candy

cbhunter

Ok what's cowboy candy
I just pulled up a recipe to give you an idea. Don't think I've tried this exact version

"Candied jalapeños"

Jcalder

Ok what's cowboy candy
71434914890__F7BB77E8-0313-4D68-9E6E-C025C16DF09A.fullsizerender.jpeg

backyardtndeer

We use a local nursery that grows their own plants, and I buy their hot jalapenos. Ours are pretty warm. One time I did mistakenly but their regular jalapenos and they were pretty mild by comparison.

As to why your plants aren't producing, could be the soil condition or a lack of moisture.

gtk

Staff member
I have 4 jalapeño pepper plants. Only have 3 peppers so far they are not hot at all. Taste like bell pepper. What did I do wrong??
how big are they? I have 3 plants, and if i pick the peppers < 2" they are sweet . At 2.1" they will light your butt up. > 3" and I have to deseed to even begin to think about eating. I've let one get to "red" color, and let my son eat (like mikey, he'll eat anything) . He was sweating :)

WTM

the seed pods and membrane contain most all of the heat, so if you are deseeding them theyll have the flavor and very little heat.

if you over work them by keeping them weed free, over water and over fertilize they wont be as hot either or picking them too young.

if you have bell peppers near by they can cross pollinate. i grew some together kne year and my bell peppers looked like bananna peppers and the jalepenos has zero heat.

just a couple of things ive learned over the years.