Jackson County blesses me again

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
Congrats on a great J-county buck. I teethed on the Big bottom area of Jackson county before I knew squat about deer, then later Seven Knobs and Roaring river areas and all in between, taught me about deer, turkey and hunting. I hunted the TWRA site called the Boils WMA while it was private lands over 20 years ago. Lots of fond memories over there in them hills and hollars.

Beautiful Buck

Snake

For me, it just depends on where the access points are. Our place in Hickman, it's all from on top. In Jackson, it's mostly from the bottom. Figuring out how deer use the terrain has really helped me personally
Yeah I'm up for change especially when you not connecting . I've learned alot over the years like how bucks will.tend to skirt your stands after a few times being hunted . They may still go through the area but out sight or out of range . You just have to change up as well to be successful just as you did .

Coker

I've been hunting Jackson County since 1994. There are definitely some big deer in that county and it can be very hard hunting and rewarding all at the same time. You for sure have to know the thermals and winds in those hills and hollers. The place I've been hunting went up for sale a few months ago. I am just hoping to make it through deer season. Wish I could find another spot in Jackson county to lease......it almost feels like home in them woods.
Congrats on a great buck!

JCDEERMAN

Very nice deer. Congratulations.
Seeing much out your way? Next year, I believe, will be a break out year in our area. So, get ready. It will be 3 years post EHD and from the looks of what we are seeing on our place in Hickman, the potential is full steam ahead.

JCDEERMAN

I've been hunting Jackson County since 1994. There are definitely some big deer in that county and it can be very hard hunting and rewarding all at the same time. You for sure have to know the thermals and winds in those hills and hollers. The place I've been hunting went up for sale a few months ago. I am just hoping to make it through deer season. Wish I could find another spot in Jackson county to lease......it almost feels like home in them woods.
Congrats on a great buck!
Thanks and agreed on everything you mentioned.

Geez, no kidding - it seems every property in Jackson County is up for sale, including this lease we are on. It is all from people out of state. They are moving here in droves and building houses and making homesteads in the most rural of areas. It's sad.

tnanh

Seeing much out your way? Next year, I believe, will be a break out year in our area. So, get ready. It will be 3 years post EHD and from the looks of what we are seeing on our place in Hickman, the potential is full steam ahead.
It has definitely improved. Food plots have been dead with very few photos for the last two weeks. Just got out of the woods and still a lot of white oak acorns. Lots of scrapes around the acorns and they have been touched up a little but the scrapes are not torn up. Deer are bedding under the white oaks where they are feeding is why we aren't seeing a lot right now. Are your plots getting hit much.

JCDEERMAN

It has definitely improved. Food plots have been dead with very few photos for the last two weeks. Just got out of the woods and still a lot of white oak acorns. Lots of scrapes around the acorns and they have been touched up a little but the scrapes are not torn up. Deer are bedding under the white oaks where they are feeding is why we aren't seeing a lot right now. Are your plots getting hit much.
You're spot on. That's the problem with so many acorns. They don't have to move far at all and deer sightings go way down, especially with the rut winding down. They are trying to restore their losses. Although, maybe it's just me, but I have seen above average racks the year following huge bumper crops of acorns the year prior. If there is any validity to that, there's another positive for next year. Not necessarily nutrition from the acorns, but a bodily fulfillment for a faster jumpstart into the antler growing season.

I haven't been to our place since opening weekend of gun, so I don't have any intel. Our new plots came up green, but then turned yellow due to lack of nutrients. I imagine they are in our existing plots that have been limed and fertilized appropriately. I actually won't be back down there until the weekend before Christmas. I'm blaming the wife's cousin getting married and a kids birthday party on that 😂

Latest posts