injured deer protocol

Status
Not open for further replies.

TN TJ

I watched an injured 4pt walk in the other morning. He was clearly hurt, in pain and moving slow. I think his left back leg was broken as he limped across the field and his back left leg never seemed to move. I'm tagged out on bucks and really struggled with the thought of killing him and taking the fine, because he was hurt so bad. In the end I let him walk hoping that the coyotes don't "walk" him down and kill him. I know deer are resilient at overcoming injuries, so I hope I made the right decision.

My question is what are your options in this scenario? Could I have shot him and explained the situation. It's not like I can call TWRA at that very moment and explain what's going on. What is the punishment for knowingly taking a 3rd buck? In the end I watched him struggle because I was afraid of the consequences.

scn

I would not advise shooting a deer in that situation without contacting TWRA beforehand. It would have been a Class B misdemeanor to shoot over your buck limit.

Deer are amazingly tough and resilient animals, and "three-legged deer" are fairly common.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts