In Memory of my Uncle Bill.

rsimms

Kirk, I am really sorry to hear. Fishing with Bill was always a special treat. He didn't say a lot... but it was clear he truly loved the river. Our last trip out Kitty told me that she worried about him continuing to work like he did. But it was clear that Bill was a man who was going to do what he wanted, and needed to do. I'm sure that if given a choice, he would much prefer to go "on the job." My prayers for you and your family... and thank you for the kind words. They make me proud... and proud to have spent days on the water with a fine man.

mike243

Must've missed this thread some how, hate to hear of it , lot of fine folks have gone on I wish to have met, glad you keep his memory alive

rsimms

WOW. I was looking at the "Uncle Josh Pork Frog" post and saw this pop up in the "similar posts" section. 2008 seems like a lifetime ago. Still miss you Uncle Bill.
I still tell my favorite story about Uncle Bill to other clients.... at the time I had a small boat with a a lousy livewell. I always told clients who wanted to keep fish to bring their cooler(s) with ice and we'd just load 'em up as we fished.
On this particular day, we filled Uncle Bill's two BIG coolers with catfish in an hour-and-a-half. Uncle Bill looked up at his kids and said, "Y'all ready to go?"
The kids looked at him incredulously and said, "But Dad, we booked a full day and we're catching fish like crazy."
To which Uncle Bill said, "I don't give a (expletive deleted). If I can't keep 'em, I don't give a (expletive deleted) about catching them."
True story... we packed up and left. 😂

Kirk

He was not a big fan of catch and release. :p

When I was a teenager we (Bills clan and my family) were all staying in Fort Walton and fishing the gulf. We got into a bunch of Spanish Mackerel on a boat trip and Bill brought a cooler full of Mackerel back to the Motel. He cooked a bunch of that fish in the little kitchenette in his room. My Aunt was furious because all their clothes and bedding smelled like Mackerel the rest of the trip.

Jmed

So Sorry! Ive got an Uncle Bill that loves to fish and I wouldnt take gold for him! They dont make em like they used to

Deer Assassin

I hate I missed original post. Some great stories about a great man

This post is example of why we should live life, Dad always said when it comes to losing a loved one " you have to remember the good times "

Well folks you have to make the memories happen first to remember them .

TheLBLman

Sorry I missed the original post, but send belated condolences nonetheless.

You're right, 2008 doesn't seem like should be 13 years ago.

I also had an uncle much like your Uncle Bill, who took me fishing and hunting all the time, and would never throw back a fish --- we kept them all, big or small.

Looking back, noticed several who had posted on this thread have since moved on, and may be now fishing with our uncles.

Kirk

Sorry I missed the original post, but send belated condolences nonetheless.

You're right, 2008 doesn't seem like should be 13 years ago.

I also had an uncle much like your Uncle Bill, who took me fishing and hunting all the time, and would never throw back a fish --- we kept them all, big or small.

Looking back, noticed several who had posted on this thread have since moved on, and may be now fishing with our uncles.
I noticed that as well. Bowriter and Buckblaster jumped out at me immediately. Buckblaster (Matt Mielke) was only 26 or 27 when he died in a car accident. He was probably 15 when he posted his condolences on this original thread. I sure do miss that guy too.

These "similar" threads are sort of like precious time capsules. Thank you Blackbeard, this turned out to be a cool addition to the website.

TheLBLman

Bowriter and Buckblaster jumped out at me immediately.
Buckblaster (Matt Mielke) was only 26 or 27 when he died in a car accident. He was probably 15 when he posted his condolences on this original thread. I sure do miss that guy too.
Know what you mean.
I think JohnnyBond was only around 40 when he passed away not too long ago.

Latest posts