Sad day in my world

TRIGGER

8BA1373D-5B90-48E3-9734-EB1A58A3DD55.jpeg

Boat went down Saturday morning. Did not think it was anything serious. For a few reasons I thought it was not getting fuel so I spent $1200 on new fuel pumps and filters. When that didn't fix it I dug a little deeper and found this. šŸ˜ž

TRIGGER

Been messing with it some more this morning. Fuel pumps are still not coming on like they should. The fuel pumps are turned on by the computer through the ground. They are supposed to run for 5 seconds when the key is turned on. I can get the high pressure pump to turn on but not the low pressure unless I ground it separately. I think now there is an electrical issue that caused the spark plug to short and fail. I do not believe it's an engine failure but might as well be at this point. Gives me a good opportunity to get a newer faster engine. This is an 07 ranger with a Yamaha f225 4 stroke. Until now (over 1000 hrs) I have never had the first issue with this engine. I have kept it maintained meticulously but I guess it was just its time.

TheLBLman

Yamaha f225 4 stroke. Until now (over 1000 hrs) I have never had the first issue with this engine. I have kept it maintained meticulously but I guess it was just its time.
Something I just don't understand:

Why do outboard engines costs so much more than automobile engines,
yet last only a small fraction as many hours?

Say you buy a new Toyota truck,
and you commute 2 hrs daily in Nashville traffic,
you have it running over 1,000 hrs within 2 years.
And your truck engine will just be barely broken in,
with no anticipated major problems for many more thousand hours?

MickThompson

Something I just don't understand:

Why do outboard engines costs so much more than automobile engines,
yet last only a small fraction as many hours?

Say you buy a new Toyota truck,
and you commute 2 hrs daily in Nashville traffic,
you have it running over 1,000 hrs within 2 years.
And your truck engine will just be barely broken in,
with no anticipated major problems for many more thousand hours?
A big part is a car engine spends most of its life below 2500 rpm's and an outboard, over 5000. That outboard's cooling system is open to contaminants in the water too.

woodsman04

If you go to the lakes i fish you will see why. These bass guys flat out fly. From stoppped to 50. You would think they are in the final round of the bass masters classic not weekend warriors working a day job. I putt putt around in my boat. It will do 45. Im lucky to hit 28. I fish to relax, not rush
Exactly. I get mine on plane and then lower it down a considerable amount of RPM. Sometimes it takes me a while to figure out my trim, but I don't like running my motor wide open.

Latest posts