IMR4166 to replace Varget in 7mm08

Pinwheeled

I've been slowly working up a load for my 7mm08 using Varget and 140gr Accubonds. Found a load that my gun really seems to like and is shooting sub MOA very consistently. Only problem is I'm at the end of my pound of Varget and of course can't find any to save my life. I had a reloading shop recommend IMR4166 because it is supposed to be a Varget clone and performs very similarly. Can anyone attest to this or have any have any experience with it? I would of course work up to that load again but would be nice to know there is something similar since Varget seems to be tough to come by. If that doesn't work out, I did pick up a pound of Big Game to play with.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fairchaser

Can't help you with the 4166 but I'm also a Varget fan. I've been told by a couple sources that Varget should be back on the shelves in April. Of course, that was before the outbreak.

DaveB

Reading a bit on 4166. Seems like it is producing pretty good FPS at low pressure.

The new StaBALL 6.5 is being touted as the solution for just about every caliber.

And as noted RL15 is a pretty solid powder also (37.5 works for me with 140's)

This is what makes handloading so much fun.

280longshot

Big game works wonderful with 140-150 grain loads. Re 15 with 120's...
Re 16, and H4350 works with 140's
Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Jcalder

I've not been been overly impressed with r15 with 140 gr NBT. I've shot from the bottom to way over book max multiple times without getting consistent numbers or groupings. May have to try the 4166. Wanting to try big game and 150s but the locals quit carrying ramshot powders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LY

R15 & 140 NBT's is what we use. Luckily the same loads works in both my Model 7 and my dad's Encore. It's MOA to just under in mine and 1/2 MOA in his.

Hunter 257W

IMR4320 has always been my favorite in that category of cartridges. I bought it in 8 lb cans always. I've even been using it in my 35 Remington several years now and working up a new cast bullet load in the 30-30 with it this past weekend.

Latest posts