Improving as a Hunter and Summer Scouting Velvets

TN Whitetail Freak

Each year I deem one aspect of my overall hunting game that im weakest in and make it a point to focus on that aspect until i am proficient in it. 2017 was becoming effective at identifying oak trees and preferred feed trees. Last year it was identifying native vegetation and early season food sources and better trailcam strategies. This year its better archery form/shooting and actually summer scouting/glassing. Well ive been at it hard and roughly 3 or 4 times a week with summer scouting and archery form. I can say ive began to see obvious patterns in deer and also witnessed a pattern shift by a group of deer that was food related (beans planted). The other day i found me a good mature buck to focus in on come August. I witness a few bucks in a planted beanfield but it was dark. So i decided to go in and glass from a half mile and sure enough a swayed back potbelly, deep chested deer showed up at 645pm. I think the focus area of summer scouting is going to give me one or 2 additional encounters a year that i otherwise wouldnt have. Dont ever stop learning because there is always more you could be doing to become a more efficient killer in the woods. Oh did i mention i started shooting at a shop on Tuesdays and have placed 3rd and 1st on a few occasions. Stay after it my friends!

JCDEERMAN

Good luck on your quest and love that you pick out something new to focus on each year. I don't intentionally do that but I guess I do in a way. Your strategy this year was mine last year....patterning early season velvet bucks. You'll probably find they are much easier to pattern, but the strategy is still the same when it comes to setup....for the exception of them hitting the fields earlier than you're used to and not having to get further back in the timber - that's what I found last year (and is predictably given). Mine this year blends into spring, that is, learning and practicing no-till food plots. We just got a no-till drill and are expanding our existing plots of 15 acres to 30 acres. Really want to push for nutrition for the animals in a positive way. Crop rotation - soybeans in spring and a fall mix in the fall. I've really became obsessed with Growing Deer TV with Dr. Grant Woods.

Hope you the best!

gobblesandgrunts

I have always wondered how much is to much scouting? Going in and putting stands up and checking cameras, what's yalls idea on when to stay out and when to go in?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Matador

We try to get all of our stands repaired and moved in March and April. We mostly stay out of area during the summer. Not many of our group bow hunt so the deer don't get much pressure until mzloading season. It doesn't take long for the deer to react to the increased activity. I think the less activity before opening of mz loading season the better your odds. That's just my opinion.

tree_ghost

gobblesandgrunts":panruvvx said:
I have always wondered how much is to much scouting? Going in and putting stands up and checking cameras, what's yalls idea on when to stay out and when to go in?

for me I do all my deer scouting between the close of deer season and the beginning of turkey season. I don't do much tree prepping since I hunt a different tree on almost every hunt. I DO NOT SCOUT DURING SEASON UNLESS I HAVE BOW IN HAND AND STAND ON BACK...when I find the hot sign I set up on it immediately. I don't want to give the deer any opportunity to know I was there until an arrow perforates both lungs....

fairchaser

It's a sound approach. Just think where most of us would be if we applied this mentality to becoming a better husband, father, Christian or in our career or health?

tree_ghost

fairchaser":g3rbjd6d said:
It's a sound approach. Just think where most of us would be if we applied this mentality to becoming a better husband, father, Christian or in our career or health?

A very good point... something that has been on my mind heavily as of late.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tree_ghost

gobblesandgrunts":2pwc5voe said:
Thanks I have always wondered that. So just dont even bother with cameras in middle of summer on?

Oh I run cameras from May-Feb I simply don't go check unless I'm hunting that area and I'll change the card on the way out. I use Trail cam info for the following season beacuse by the time you get the info it's usually too late to use it effectively. However it gives me great insight as to what the deer will do next year given nothing major happens to their environment. Now these new cell cams are a different story. I am really considering buying a few because real time data can be used immediately in your game plan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TN Whitetail Freak

gobblesandgrunts":1pcazs9f said:
Thanks I have always wondered that. So just dont even bother with cameras in middle of summer on?

Ill set cams around July 1 then check them once mid august and once mid September. Never do i prep trees because i rarely hunt the same tree twice. All my summer scouting really is from the road the first 2 hours of morning and last 2 hours of evening. The morning thing is something i just started. First drive out i saw 4 bucks and one was a definite shooter (140s+) trying to skirt back to bed. At no point am i tromping around in spots i plan to hunt.