if you would plant now.. or in the next week..

Boone 58

We have had almost no rain for a couple of weeks now and only sprinkles tonight. I believe we need to wait for the heat wave to leave and some decent rain fall to come before we do anything serious.

Rico

camoman270 said:
We have had almost no rain for a couple of weeks now and only sprinkles tonight. I believe we need to wait for the heat wave to leave and some decent rain fall to come before we do anything serious.

your probably right.. i might wait 1 more week...

BSK

Rico,

I wouldn't recommend planting until soil moisture improves significantly, even if that means not planting until mid-October. I will wait that long if that's what it takes. Planting into dry soil means you just threw all your seed away and you'll have to buy it all again.

stirrat

we need this heat wave cycle to break and some good rain. i usually plant next weekend but that is not too likely.

tnclayboy

BSK said:
Rico,

I wouldn't recommend planting until soil moisture improves significantly, even if that means not planting until mid-October. I will wait that long if that's what it takes. Planting into dry soil means you just threw all your seed away and you'll have to buy it all again.

good advise
Even if youre worried about spooking the deer in the area by planting during season I wouldn't, it doesn't bother them in the least + the plants are most atractive to the deer when they first sprout up . I have my soil tilled and ready now so when it rains it will soak up every drop .I'm figuring on late sept before I can plant, but it all depends on the rain. good luck

LA man

WELL IM LEAVIN FOR OHIO JUST AFTER LABOR DAY WEEKEND AND WILL NOT BE HOME TILL MID OCT. I REALLY WANT TO PLANT THIS WEEK JUST INCASE IM LATE GETTIN HOME. LAST YEAR I WAS LATE AND THE WHEAT ONLY CAME UP 2-3 INCHES BEFORE THE COLD GOT IT. ILL PLANT NOW AND IF IT DOESNT WORK OUT ILL REPLANT WHEN I GET HOME

jaypz4

we checked ours today and NADA!!!! we are going to spray gly-4 next weekend and kill what grass is left and then try to plant some no-plow and secret spot the folling week! lets hopeit rains. good luck all!!!!

BSK

LA man said:
WELL IM LEAVIN FOR OHIO JUST AFTER LABOR DAY WEEKEND AND WILL NOT BE HOME TILL MID OCT. I REALLY WANT TO PLANT THIS WEEK JUST INCASE IM LATE GETTIN HOME. LAST YEAR I WAS LATE AND THE WHEAT ONLY CAME UP 2-3 INCHES BEFORE THE COLD GOT IT. ILL PLANT NOW AND IF IT DOESNT WORK OUT ILL REPLANT WHEN I GET HOME

Although I can get to my property fairly frequently, I'm probably going to do something similar. I'm going to broadcast a lot of cheap wheat seed, and if it gets rained on and grows, great. If not, well I'm not out much monetarily. If the wheat lives, I can always add more and different seeds to the plots once rains become more regular. I've already burned down my plots with Gly 4.

BSK

Interlunium said:
SO now is the time to plant winter wheat?

Late summer and early fall are the time to plant cereal grains. They are a fall/winter/spring plant.

However, unless you have adequate soil moisture when planting, you are throwing your moeyy away. The plants will not germinate or grow.

I'm going to watch the weather closely, and if it looks like we might get rain this weekend, I'll take the chance with winter wheat late in the week because it is so cheap (generally no more than $15 for 100 pounds of seed). A planting "failure would cost that much. But I will wait with the more expensive plants until we've had adequate rainfall.

Rico

BSK said:
Rico,

ok i will.. i tried to work the soil a little bit but it's just to hard.

Latest posts