if you have questions on benelli or stoeger guns Im happy to

Bgoodman30

Re: if you have questions on benelli or stoeger guns Im happ

Roost 1":13fcdud2 said:
The Affinity 3 Compact comes in camo with 24" barrel. I have one.

5082093b8449abf9c55508b6930bcf15.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bgoodman30

Roost 1":seql93kn said:

Still curious to know where you found this gun? Or if your'e interested in selling?

Luckybuck16

I've got an older 12 ga benelli nova and shoot the long beard xr 3.5 inch .. just bought some ninja apex #8.5s 3.5 inch tss what would u recommend for a choke I've read u don't want the same one I shoot the long beards out of .665 Bc it's too tight

Andy S.

Bgoodman30":30by65up said:
Roost 1":30by65up said:

Still curious to know where you found this gun? Or if your'e interested in selling?
Seen one on GB or somewhere else the other day. I will look today and see if I can find the link.

Spoke with Benelli this morning and they said that exact model gun has been discontinued.

Benelli recommended the Stoeger 3020 to fit the bill. See link below.

https://www.mackspw.com/Stoeger-M3020-2 ... -Obsession

REN

Bone Collector":22nhhvf9 said:
what do you think of this combo specifically?

3.5 long beard xr / carlson long beard choke on m3500

not a thing wrong with that. I ran a Hevi-shot choke in my 3500 for a long time (which I think was a 656 if I remember correctly) and it shot fantastic using lead or magblends.

Bone Collector

REN":wapxwwfi said:
Bone Collector":wapxwwfi said:

not a thing wrong with that. I ran a Hevi-shot choke in my 3500 for a long time (which I think was a 656 if I remember correctly) and it shot fantastic using lead or magblends.
Thanks! Another question.

Do you think the TSS choke they make (.640) would be too constricted for the LB XR Lead shot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

REN

Bone Collector":1fo7m93y said:
REN":1fo7m93y said:
Bone Collector":1fo7m93y said:

Do you think the TSS choke they make (.640) would be too constricted for the LB XR Lead shot?

constriction is only part of the equation really. generally speaking yes 640 is a very tight choke BUT it depends on the internal dynamics and barrel type really. Benelli have a very small barrel diameter compared to most so they already like tighter chokes options by nature (650-660 range is the sweet spot). However there have been some manufactures that have come out with tighter constrictions that have different internals that allowed it to perform very well (truglo SSX for example was a popular choke for a long time and it was a 640)

bottom line is not all 660 chokes are the same and not all 650 chokes are the same, the constriction size with internal design is what paints the full picture. IMO 640 would be pretty tight for a tss load, but that is not saying it would not be good if paired with the right shell. I personally have not tried that combo but I would imagine it would have a pretty hot core. So if that is what you are looking for it may be worth a shot BUT if it were me I would go with a choke combo that is more tried and true like Indian Creek (just as an example) where there are plenty of reviews and feedback of people trying that combo out.

Bone Collector

REN":1hrbc035 said:
Bone Collector":1hrbc035 said:
REN":1hrbc035 said:
Bone Collector said:

constriction is only part of the equation really. generally speaking yes 640 is a very tight choke BUT it depends on the internal dynamics and barrel type really. Benelli have a very small barrel diameter compared to most so they already like tighter chokes options by nature (650-660 range is the sweet spot). However there have been some manufactures that have come out with tighter constrictions that have different internals that allowed it to perform very well (truglo SSX for example was a popular choke for a long time and it was a 640)

bottom line is not all 660 chokes are the same and not all 650 chokes are the same, the constriction size with internal design is what paints the full picture. IMO 640 would be pretty tight for a tss load, but that is not saying it would not be good if paired with the right shell. I personally have not tried that combo but I would imagine it would have a pretty hot core. So if that is what you are looking for it may be worth a shot BUT if it were me I would go with a choke combo that is more tried and true like Indian Creek (just as an example) where there are plenty of reviews and feedback of people trying that combo out.
I shoot the IC and TSS. It does a good job.

My nephew has a 3500 and shoots 3.5 LB XR #5.

He was getting a choke and had narrowed it down to the Carlsons TSS choke (.640) and the Carlsons LB XR choke. Idk which he got which is why I'm asking. Just trying to see if you'd ever shot the either Choke in a 3500, which shells you had used if you had, and of course the results.

Thanks again for your help.

Bgoodman30

Roost 1":ckghy39i said:
0e8eef241bff6167625fe6418979b2e8.jpg

Awesome I'll take a look. Thanks!

REN

I have not shot the 640 version but had good results with the LB choke and LB #5 and #6.

The heavy shot 656, Indian creek 660 and sumtoy 650 shot the best in mine with mag blends, hevi shot #7 and long beards

Bgoodman30

Andy S.":3m3qngvz said:
Bgoodman30":3m3qngvz said:
Roost 1":3m3qngvz said:

Seen one on GB or somewhere else the other day. I will look today and see if I can find the link.

Spoke with Benelli this morning and they said that exact model gun has been discontinued.

Benelli recommended the Stoeger 3020 to fit the bill. See link below.

https://www.mackspw.com/Stoeger-M3020-2 ... -Obsession

Dang! I figured since it wasn't on Franchi website...

I was seriously considering that 24" Obsession 3020 but after further research you can't take that front sight off without damaging the barrel! I liked it ok but if I didn't like the sights I'm SOL!

I shouldered one at Franklin gun shop and I'm kind of spoiled by the M2 but they are spendy....

Taking a hard look at Retay now...

Andy S.

Bgoodman30":3j4ow7a9 said:
I was seriously considering that 24" Obsession 3020 but after further research you can't take that front sight off without damaging the barrel!
Deal breaker for sure. Who in their right mind would allow that design flaw to go to production???? Why solder the sight in place???

Spoke with Benelli again. The lady said numerous customers have called and said the same thing as you "the affixed sight system is a deal breaker". Great gun and price point otherwise, but the majority of hunters do not want the ghost and fiber optic sight as their only option.

I oftentimes wonder WHO is on these product delivery teams when they decide on final design before production.

REN

Roost 1":1hwxgfzp said:
In my opinion the best all around deal on a 20ga turkey gun is the Weatherby SA-459.lots of gun for the money.

If I were buying a new 20 today on a budget that or the stoeger 3020 would be my 1a and 1b options for sure

Roost 1

Budget or not, i got the M2, Affinity 3, 870s, etc the Weatherby comes drilled and tapped with picatinny, pistol grip, camo, and turkey choke under $600...it'll do everything those higher priced guns will do. It'll shoot a 300/200 pattern all day long.

Bgoodman30

Andy S.":1kl9wu1x said:
Bgoodman30":1kl9wu1x said:
I was seriously considering that 24" Obsession 3020 but after further research you can't take that front sight off without damaging the barrel!
Deal breaker for sure. Who in their right mind would allow that design flaw to go to production???? Why solder the sight in place???

Spoke with Benelli again. The lady said numerous customers have called and said the same thing as you "the affixed sight system is a deal breaker". Great gun and price point otherwise, but the majority of hunters do not want the ghost and fiber optic sight as their only option.

I oftentimes wonder WHO is on these product delivery teams when they decide on final design before production.

Idk but they better get with it because Retay is coming with more 20 gauge options later this year and I might be coming with them....

Bgoodman30

Roost 1":3kf74xr3 said:
In my opinion the best all around deal on a 20ga turkey gun is the Weatherby SA-459.lots of gun for the money.

Looks like a great option but heavy!

I want to go to 20 gauge mainly for the weight aspect being below 6 lbs!