If you could only carry one call . . .

ROVERBOY

I've got a walnut slate or acrylic that sounds great. I made it back in 2016. I usually carry 4 or 5 strikers.

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
Never used the red wasp but just ordered 3 due to this thread.
I'm going to be ordering some this week myself because of this thread.

As far as the question which call if only one, I guess it would be any mouth call. A sudden and close second, and would be number one except for handling it is my box call. I had never used one before about 5 years ago when I got one at my FIL garage sale. He had simply found it in the garage when he bought the house, he's a non hunter. I grabbed it, learned how to call a bit with it even though I hated box calls, and took it with me that spring. I was on a bird who wouldn't budge from his bench or his ladies and I could move, so in desperation I took this gangly thing out and managed to make a hen turkey sound with it. He hammered right back, so I hit him again and he hammered again! I said huh? In about 20 seconds he gobbles again but he had closer half the distance already and was pretty much in range. I put the call down and it squeaked and he gobbled at that too! He pops up over the rise and boom he's dead. That was the only bird I had killed between 2017 and 2021 because of the decline in birds. I used it last year on the two times I hunted and called both birds into range but missed one of them.

I hated box calls. Hated them I say! And I never would have spent a dime on one. But I will say this…the only time I've been fooled by another hunters calling is when they use a box call. They are very "henny" sounding to me

CHRIS WILSON

I've got this double sided pot call that I picked up back late last Fall. It's aluminum over slate with a purple heart body. Can't remember the maker off the top of my head. Love it. It gets loud and high pitched on the aluminum side but purrs nice and soft on the slate side.

Latest posts