I wanna build a 1k yard rifle

recurve60#

Can I ask why not a Creedmoor since you are dead set against it? Just curious why, since the 260 is ok? I went back through the thread and didn't see any specific reasons?
I have saved brass for over 20 years and attached to 260. It's a great round.
my son has a 260 also.
I like to keep mucho ammo for what I will hunt with for a lifetime, and if he needs any too. KISS method.

Last edited:

mike243

Got a ?, if you set it up to shoot 1000y what's the shortest distance you can dial it down to? I wouldn't think it would be very close for hunting but never played that game but know the rings cant the scope a bunch.

TNRifleman

I have saved brass for over 20 years and attached to 260. It's a great round.
my son has a 260 also.
I like to keep mucho ammo for what I will hunt with for a lifetime, and if he needs any too. KISS method.
That makes total sense. I was just hoping it wasn't because of the "stigma" around being a Creedmoor shooter :)

MUP

Got a ?, if you set it up to shoot 1000y what's the shortest distance you can dial it down to? I wouldn't think it would be very close for hunting but never played that game but know the rings cant the scope a bunch.
It can be dialed down to 100 or any distance in between, 50 even if needed. I shoot my 300 WinMag and 6.5 Creedmoor both from 100 to 1000 with no problems.

mike243

My Redfield only has a 600y elevation adjustment. And that's starting at 2" high at 200y with elevation dial.

Last edited:

Jcalder

Depends on scope, and I'd hope he wouldn't skimp on it, but he should be able to zero at 100 and dial way past 1000. And most likely wouldn't need any cant.

jlanecr500

There's a lot of options today to be your own "gunsmith" and still have an accurate rifle that will go to 1k yards. Ivr taken my .243 Win to 1300. Now i wouldn't hunt that far, but theres a lot of cartridges put there to do both.

If you want a shouldered barrel ths takes away savages, but theyre sort of the easiest of assemble. Kind of like legos.
A Savage can have a shouldered barrel like any other. I have a couple that i built that way. Just as a Remington can use a nut. Hence the term "Remage".

Below is one of my 40 cal sml's that I built shouldered.

RC HOTROD 40 B.jpg

mike243

How are you gaining elevation with the windage dial?

Anything I've taken to 1k has a 100yd zero and then I turn the twisty spinny knob on top for distance.
Had a brain fart but corrected lol might shoot it sideways like some folks shoot pistols 🤣

Jcalder

It's a calibrated dial, it came with 4 different caps for different calibers and bullet weights. I have it on a 243. farthest I have shot it at a target was 350y.
I would verify it, and not trust it until verified. I'd also wanna know that it'll track properly, repeatedly. I'm interested in the dial tho, did it come with the scope, or did you send in ammo info, like velocity and bullet bc. If it's just a generalized reticle, itll be in the ball park but certainly not precise.

mike243

2 shots about 1.5" 4-5" left, didn't take in the wind speed. killed deer to 250y with not adjusting with a 200y zero. gave it to my son. may have to borrow it back if shoulder is still tender when season opens. The dials came with the scope, bought it late 80's early 90's before they went out of business. They sold the name afterwards but the lifetime warranty went the way of the Nikons. I think the name of it is a Accutract.

Last edited:

Remi

Actually I forgot I have a Winchester mod 70, 30-06 classic stainless,threaded barrel in the back of the safe.
I'm going that route. Any input from here on is greatly appreciated.

I used the 180 nosler ballistic tip and 60grs of h4831 in win brass with a cci200 sparkler and had good results out to 800. It was 2737fps from my 22" barrel.

If I was thinking I would use the papaw express again I'd look at the 178eldm or even the 208eldm with h4350 or h4831.

I like h4831 because it's pretty much impossible to get too much in an /06 case to get in trouble.

Latest posts