I wanna build a 1k yard rifle

recurve60#

I'm thinking 260 Rem.
I bought a Mod 7 Rem in the late 90's and love it.
I'd like to do this with a rifle that's still practical to hunt with. 22 to 24" barrel, 1:8 twist.
I've been looking recently and all see is Savage rifles. Is anyone else still making a 260?
And no,no creedmore, I'm not looking for that.

Remi

The 260 is a dandy. Tikka made the ctr in 20" and 24" in the 260 rem for awhile but I think they dried up. They have a lot of mag room that would come in handy with a 260 rem. I'd say if you're looking to buy new you're stuck with a Savage.

Ruger made a special run in the American in .260 Rem but they're tough to find.

Travis G.

I'm thinking 260 Rem.
I'd like to do this with a rifle that's still practical to hunt with. 22 to 24" barrel, 1:8 twist.
I've been looking recently and all see is Savage rifles. Is anyone else still making a 260?
If your just shooting targets 260 would work but if you want to kill a big game animal at that distance would want more. It really all depends if you're going to reload or not.

knightrider

I'm thinking 260 Rem.
A few different options on gunbroker in 260 but you gonna pay for em

TN Song Dog

Every time I look at building a rifle, I am confronted with the super nice factory offerings that are near custom quality, these days. About half the price, also. I'll probably try a Bergara Premiere or B-14 series next time I'm in the buying mood.

backyardtndeer

Travis G.

What would you want more of?
More energy larger hole etc. just saying I wouldn't use it for an elk at 1000 yards. I'm sure some might try it but I wouldn't. Would be a great caliber for smaller game or paper punching. Or deer but would probably be fine at 6-700 yards. Would also consider ammo availability if you're not going to reload.

Jcalder

More energy larger hole etc. just saying I wouldn't use it for an elk at 1000 yards. I'm sure some might try it but I wouldn't. Would be a great caliber for smaller game or paper punching. Or deer but would probably be fine at 6-700 yards. Would also consider ammo availability if you're not going to reload.
How much energy do you need, and how does that equate to killing animals? I won't argue on hole size.

Remi

I'm thinking 260 Rem.

Are you going to shoot animals at 1000yds or targets at 1000yds, or both?

Last edited:

Jcalder

He surely would need a heavy magnum caliber to hold terminal velocity at 1000 I Believe. Maybe a special performing bullet that performed at around the 1200 fps mark? Iirc my .300 WinMag only held around 1300 or so at that distance?
1800fps is kinda the standard. And it doesn't take a magnum to do it, just a high bc and decent speed. The prc would be a good place to start. I wouldn't turn my nose at a 6cm either with a 115 dtac, or even the 108 offerings. It all boils down to what the OP plans to do with, and how much punishment is he willing to endure while doing it.

Latest posts