I suck

kaizen leader

After working my 73 year old butt off to get to a great spot and about 25' up in a tree with a heavy ass climber I had my chance and blew it. Hit her high right behind the rib cage. She made me and was leaving. There were two does and 4 fawns. Arrow went right through. Blood for about 70 yards then nothing. We looked for two hours and nothing. The place is thicker than you know what. My climber is heavy as hell too. I'm sore today and disappointed. I'll be back!
Good luck yawl.

Attachments

• 86D0C723-90EA-4C25-8717-94F5B2F510EC.jpeg
    86D0C723-90EA-4C25-8717-94F5B2F510EC.jpeg
    88.6 KB · Views: 384
  • 50BBA5E7-3C99-407B-BB80-1ECA86B0D109.jpeg
    50BBA5E7-3C99-407B-BB80-1ECA86B0D109.jpeg
    557.2 KB · Views: 389

kaizen leader

Hate you didn't find her. Don't let it get you down too bad. Get out there and redeem yourself. I don't know many people at 33 that will use a climber, muchess 73. Keep at it!
Thank you. I don't get down. To much to live for even in bazaro world. I am blessed to be able to. I bought the climber from Walmart for $150. It's a fantastic design, easy to climb and comfortable. It said aluminum. No way. Heavy ass iron for sure. But still well worth it. Good luck to you.

redblood

Thats awesome that you are still bowhunting from climber at 73. She will probably live. My nephew sent me opening day video of shooting a heavy 4.5 yr old buck on opening day of archery. High shoulder. He tore out. Tracked him and brought in dogs. Nothing after 100 yards. Killed him first week of muzzleloader a 1/2 mile away

batten_down

Happened to me. Biggest buck of my life. 15 yards. Thought I smoked him. Complete pass-through. Decent blood for first 25-30 yards. Then petered out to nothing. Looked and looked and looked and nothing. Neighbor killed him a month later. He was dogging a doe and appeared completely fine. I had hit him in the dead zone above the lungs and below the spine. Heartbreaker still.

Kudos to you for bowhunting out of a climber at 73. You're an inspiration. Keep at it.

kaizen leader

Happened to me. Biggest buck of my life. 15 yards. Thought I smoked him. Complete pass-through. Decent blood for first 25-30 yards. Then petered out to nothing. Looked and looked and looked and nothing. Neighbor killed him a month later. He was dogging a doe and appeared completely fine. I had hit him in the dead zone above the lungs and below the spine. Heartbreaker still.

Kudos to you for bowhunting out of a climber at 73. You're an inspiration. Keep at it.
Now I don't feel so bad. Thanks

hitek7

If you hit behind the rib cage it is a very high chance that she didn't make it. That's the shots you want to get a tracking dog for. Lose lots of deer shot forward, don't lose very many shot towards the back. Especially shooting down at that much of an angle.

Keep chugging though, I sure hope I'm still able to climb at 73!

Poker

Night before last the very same exact thing happened to me. Hunting out of a climber and shot a doe high and very little blood. Only difference is I'm 64 but those things are getting heavier every year.

huntncoach

As the others have said, I am inspired that you still bow hunt from a climber at 73! I am about 18 years behind you and hope I am still climbing then. As for the lost deer - it happens. I hate it also, as I don't ever want to injure one and then not be able to recover it, but I have done so - three times - and one of those was with a rifle.

larry ipock

Bad luck happens. Grazed a nice buck last year out of my stand. Didn't practice from it, forgot about the tendency to shoot high from elevations. Friend's son got him later during MZL. He had a 3 in. gash at the top of his shoulders. And yes, seems like mts. get steeper and things get heavier at our age. I'm
66 now.

RockMcL

It was many years ago but the first day of ML I took an okay buck that had a top of shoulder gash that was a gangerene mess and one ear with a 4 blade hole through it. A neighbor/friend acknowledged making the shot/hit/miss early in archery season.

Only time I have killed a deer with a serious festering wound.

Memorable because I was not hunting officially I was preparing a hunt for my son. It was first day ML but my son could not hunt till Sunday. Was really trying to get him on a decent buck so picked our "family stand" (raised 6'×8' stand). Wind was right so I shot in midday Saturday to clean out stand and pull pictures. I was sweeping, saying bad words, putting trash cans and bottles into a trash bag and found a last year can of hot doe on the floor. I just set it off and set it on the downwind window while banging around cleaning. Finally finished, noisily dragged the wooden bench in front of the main window and sat down.

As I sat down I heard a snort and a buck took off from just feet in front of the stand. He apparently ran right down the doe scent and was trying to figure where the hot doe was and what the blank was banging around in that weird rectangular tree. Snapped up the ML and knocked him down running.

Unfortunately the only buck my son saw the next day was when a red fox trotted in front of the stand high footing with my bucks lungs in its mouth.

Cheshire

It was many years ago but the first day of ML I took an okay buck that had a top of shoulder gash that was a gangerene mess and one ear with a 4 blade hole through it. A neighbor/friend acknowledged making the shot/hit/miss early in archery season.

Only time I have killed a deer with a serious festering wound.

Memorable because I was not hunting officially I was preparing a hunt for my son. It was first day ML but my son could not hunt till Sunday. Was really trying to get him on a decent buck so picked our "family stand" (raised 6'×8' stand). Wind was right so I shot in midday Saturday to clean out stand and pull pictures. I was sweeping, saying bad words, putting trash cans and bottles into a trash bag and found a last year can of hot doe on the floor. I just set it off and set it on the downwind window while banging around cleaning. Finally finished, noisily dragged the wooden bench in front of the main window and sat down.

As I sat down I heard a snort and a buck took off from just feet in front of the stand. He apparently ran right down the doe scent and was trying to figure where the hot doe was and what the blank was banging around in that weird rectangular tree. Snapped up the ML and knocked him down running.

Unfortunately the only buck my son saw the next day was when a red fox trotted in front of the stand high footing with my bucks lungs in its mouth.
Been there, done that. Part hunting. Probably the worst part of hunting, I hate to lose one.

Latest posts