Hunting In The Rain !!!???

Steverino

Back in CT I was working on a gobbler. I got out late in the afternoon to locate him at fly up time and heard the preflight gobble. So having a good idea where he was I was out the next morning in the cold spring rain. It was a decent rain too and I had a scoped shotgun.

I was walking into a clearing slowly and happened to notice a dark shape sitting not too far off the ground in a tree not too far from where I was. So I got down on my hands and knees and slithered back to the woods line to have some cover and stayed laying down in the rain. I waited and waited getting drenched even through my rain gear. Finally I gave a couple of chirps on the call and heard the gobble back so he was awake. He was in a small group of trees - an island in the clearing basically. I was hoping he'd fly straight down into the clearing so I could close the deal. Finally he decided it was time and flew to the opposite side of the "island" from me gobbling away every time I chirped away but the gobbles were going away - this bird was real wary and I wasn't bringing him home. He crossed the dirt road to the other side of the WMA and was gone.

I went home wet and depressed. However I went back out couple of days later and heard him fly up - next morning got right up on him and this time it was just cold out - I chirped and he flew right down looking for love - bang. Dead bird. Pretty sure it was the same bird - same size and not too far from where he was before just up the hill more.

Buzzard Breath

As I get older, I find myself having little to no desire to hunt in the rain. I'm also self employed, so I'll just work and go another day.

SDS

I've hunted in the rain for nearly 40 years mainly out of a shooting house. Killed my two biggest bucks in a light steady rain. The sound of rain drops on a shooting house sure beats the cackle of my wife asking me to do chores around the house.

Bone Collector

Blood trails go by by
this is why I don't do it. I didn't go Sunday AM and could have as the rain held out, but the prospect of getting there, possibly shooting one, and the rain starting up kept me in bed.

I shot one the day before my son was born in the afternoon. No rain in the forecast. I shot her right at dusk. I was waiting a few when I heard what sounded to be rain. It was. I immediately got down. By the time I got down (not long) the blood trail was gone. I assume it may have been a bad blood trail, but it was not there, by the time I got down. After looking for a while I realized I would not find her and my very pregnant wife was at home. I packed up and if it weren't for the fact she ran to and fell down on the walking trail out, I'd have never found her. Just got lucky. To me it isn't worth the risk.

Edited to add... If you are talking about gun/ML hunting then yes I will do that. usually more blood (too much to wash a way) and deer don't run as far. In addition there is less foliage and it is easier to find them.

Snake

Killed one in a terrestrial downpour this evening in catoosa. Luckily I double lunged her and she just ran out of sight. I came down the stand and pulled my fingers back the arrow and seen a little blood with no smell. I went to looking and she was piled up about 40 yards away. Only deer shot this evening and only 9th this weekend on catoosa.
Congrats on the doe brother .

Cheshire

Alright let's hear what everyone thinks about to hunt, or not to hunt in rain. Tell your experiences and what you've seen over the years, and what time of year also. Go!!
I love to hunt in a light rain, the deer seem calmer and I think the rain keeps your scent from drifting. Ground scent from walking in maybe a different story. A least the leaves aren't crunchy

Latest posts