Hunters for the Hungry

megalomaniac

How does this work? Just shoot a deer and drop it off either whole or field dressed at a participating processor with a permanent kill tag affixed? Does the processor give you a discounted rate for the processing when it is just being ground and donated?

Normally before season opens I contact friends and coworkers who like venison but who either don't hunt or who have gotten too old to hunt and get a list to fill. I skin, quarter, and age the meat, then give them the cleaned quarters (bone in or bone out, depending on their preference) and they do the final processing themselves, or take to a processor themselves if they want smoked or summer sausage.

In a normal year, that's 6 or 7 deer donated in addition to 2 bucks I keep for myself (between 4 hunters... me and 3 kids doing the killing).

This year my population has exploded due to a mass die off from coyotes before fawn drop 2022, then we've killed any coyotes that have since shown back up since the die off (18 killed since last summer). As such, we have had 2 great fawn crops in a row (50% recruitment past 2 years). I'm expecting to kill an additional 10 does this season compared to years past for management purposes. I'm turning my son and his college friends loose to accomplish this harvest requirement. I have 8 deer spoken for, but will likely need to donate 5 or 6 if my son does not find other college friends who want a deer.

Bass1090

Congrats on the yote killing and fawn success!
First you will need to find a processor that participates in the program. At the one I use for donations I field dress the deer and just drop it off, if he is there I fill out a card, if he isn't I just mark it HFTH. There is no fee or anything else that I recollect. Pretty easy and for a great cause!

Good luck! If you need some help with the does give me a shout, I am getting my wife into hunting lol.

megalomaniac

Wait, the donating hunter does not donate the fee to process???

Who is paying for the processing if it is the 'state' (TWRA?, $$$ donations to food banks?, taxpayer dollars?) And how much is the 'state' paying the processor per deer?

jc0313

1. Find a participating processor.
  2. Check-in/tag your deer.
  3. Field dress your deer.
  4. Follow the processor's S.O.P. for dropping off your deer, and indicate that it is for HFTH.

Hunters For The Hungry will cover the processor's cost associated with processing the harvest. You don't pay a dime.

Bass1090

Who is paying for the processing if it is the 'state' (TWRA?, $$$ donations to food banks?, taxpayer dollars?) And how much is the 'state' paying the processor per deer?
It's all covered.

There is a box you can check when you buy your license to donate $ to this cause. I personally always check the box for the standard $5 donation.

megalomaniac

Did a little research on the TN Wildlife Federation. I have gotten multiple solicitations from them in the past, but have never donated to them (its RARE that I donate to any charitable organization other than directly to my local church as there is direct accountability on how the $$$ is spent and the overhead/ administrative costs are low).

Sounds like they are doing a great job... averaging 48lbs of meat per deer according to numbers from 2022. If I use HFTH, I'll donate processing costs as well to TWF to cover processing fees.

I'll call my closest processor and find out how many deer they can accept at a time. If all I have to do is field dress, I'd prefer to just make 1 trip and drop off all 5 or 6 at once.

JCDEERMAN

Yeah the "state" is just what the processor told me. He was just painting with a wide brush I assume. But nonetheless, no fee to you. Just make sure they are accepting. I've tried to donate a few later in the season and they were no longer accepting deer.

Bone Collector

the way I understand it is they collect donations and those donations pay for so many deer. After the quota is met you pay a reduced fee. One year I donated one after and I think I paid $40.

Latest posts