How to set up on a bird...

philsanchez76

Does he still turkey hunt?

A lot of good info in this thread, but I'll play devils advocate and mention that it's just one way to kill turkeys.

THP and Dave Owens show another way.
Good point there are definitely different styles that work. I'd argue the THP way is really only good for those who are only hunting that area one or two days and moving on. If you don't have access to that many spots with turkeys and can't travel, seems the slow, methodical, patient style has a much higher success rate. I do enjoy their videos though.

Bullfrog

Great thread! A couple things i'll add:
1. Learn how to check a birds temperature. That only comes being in the woods and around turkeys
2. Don't be afraid to back out and come back later in the day, on a gobbling, but hen'd up/won't budge, bird

Knothead

……….:11-don't call too much. Make a couple or three series of yelps and clucks to let him know you're there then shut up. I don't care how long it takes. Throw the call away where you won't be tempted to use it. When you make a sound he knows exactly what tree you're sitting beside. He will either come or not come. No amount of more calling will get him to change his mind.

12-don't be worried about being defeated. It's part of the game. It ain't supposed to be easy.
^ These 2 points right here are some of the best advice I've seen on this post — especially # 11. Discipline and patience. Patience and discipline— they go hand in hand.

Good luck to each of you. Be safe and may God bless !

Gobble4me757

I mean we can give all the advice in the world but experience can only come from hunting and making mistakes.

The biggest key in being successful in turkey hunting is having the ability to adapt. I am a run and gunner but if I got a small property, imma play it a lot slower. I refuse to sit in a blind but sometimes you gotta just sit a greenfield calling sparingly. Aggressive calling earlier in the year and lighter less calling as the year goes on

Kelljp

PATIENCE, number one thing that has to be learned. Don't matter how many times you're told, it won't sink in until you've put the time in hunting.

Latest posts