How often do you water?

catman529

As little as possible. Big mistake a lot of people make is over-watering. If you stick your finger a couple inches in the soil and it's completely dry, give em some water. Most don't need more than the equivalent of an inch of rain per week anyway.

Especially early in the year when plants are young, water as little as possible without wilting your plants. By getting less water, the roots naturally go deeper in search of water. Then on hot summer days when the surface dries up fast, your plants will have deep roots to reach the deep moisture and you won't have to water half as often.

I give them some good amounts of water right after putting seedlings in the ground, because of transplant shock. But as soon as they are adjusted I let the ground dry out before watering, and when you do water, don't overwater. I see people standing in the community garden watering their 12x12 foot patch for 30 minutes with a hose. Talk about overkill.

Just take it easy and remember about the roots going deeper if you water less. If you over-water early in the season, you get shallow roots and then in August when temps reach 100, all of a sudden your plants have no water because their 6" of soil dried up and the roots are not deep enough to get moisture.

Latest posts