How long do y'all keep deer pee and other attractants?

T. J. Mercer

I've googled it, but I don't always trust the google.
I prefer personal accounts from tndeer folks.
I searched the forums, but that got old real fast, so I apologize if this has been answered elsewhere.

1) How long do you feel your doe in estrous pees last?
2) Do you feel there's a difference in shelf life between plain pee and the more hormonal ones, like estrous?
3) Do any of you spend $50 each year on new deer urine?
4) What other liquid attractants do you use? (just out of curiosity, like molasses, maple syrup, vanilla, etc.)
I occasionally hear crazy things, and I'm just curious to know if anyone's willing to share their craziness or "family secrets" . . .

Thanks!

P.S. -- I read on the google where someone suggested dehydrating doe urine (for preservation) by cooking it in a pan. I don't even care if that works, I feel sorry for the poor fool and his family that listens to that and fills his house up with that stink. Great googly moogly. Might as well burn the house down.

backyardtndeer

About all i use is active scrape. Buy it at the end of the season on clearance. If the bottles are not opened, it smells just as fresh next year as what is bought this year.

megalomaniac

dont use anything except for the actual tarsals of bucks at least 4.5 or older. I have some of those that are 10+yrs old in the freezer and still use/ reuse them. Wife hates it, but you got to put your foot down at some point in the marriage.

Omega

I've used old scents, and honestly haven't noticed much of a difference. Sometimes they work great, sometimes no reaction at all. Now that the whole CWD thing has arisen I have stopped using any scents, and I still see deer, though I don't hunt any particular deer and am happy with a doe as much as a buck.

Big Jeremy

I don't use them. Had more bad experiences with them back in the day than good ones. I have, as others have mentioned, used some fresh tarsal glands before. I've never kept them in the freezer from season to season, though...probably should have.

RockMcL

dont use anything except for the actual tarsals of bucks at least 4.5 or older. I have some of those that are 10+yrs old in the freezer and still use/ reuse them. Wife hates it, but you got to put your foot down at some point in the marriage.
Fortunately we have an old fridge stripped out to chill deer for a week before butcher so can store such in the only top shelf. Glad this came up, I need to have my little freezer bags and dedicated little knife stored by where we skin...

Rakkin6

I pretty much just stick to Evercalm now though. All urine products will eventually breakdown into ammonia. The best bet if you have a spare fridge is to keep them in their dark bottles and keep them in the refrigerator. Cool temps slow the breakdown process. Best bet for preservation might be one of the spray can deals. Like the tinks #69, Golden Estrous or Buck Bomb.

Also I have done a mixture of pure vanilla and water in a spray bottle and sprayed it on veg on the way to my stand. More of a curiosity scent though. But I have had decent luck with it and also Deer Dander.

deerhunter10

My own. And if we kill a deer from another property we may take the tarsal of that deer to another, but honestly not often. I have never seen a mature deer coming to a fake "lure" I know its happened but never have seen it with my own eyes. If they are down wind of you your probably in trouble.

RockMcL

"If they are down wind of you your probably in trouble." It is rare, this time of year and forward that bucks aren't coming on the wind to me... Quartering is the trick.

I practice scent free as much as possible and this time of year ALWAYS hunt expecting deer to come from downwind. The trick is scent/tarsals set so bucks running the ridge line catch scent and quarter in front of you not on you. If I am calling in any way I have to be scent free as possible, they WILL get downwind coming in trying to smell the competition or doe.

Collected Tarsal as a drag and then hung in tree. I use tinks wick bottles one buck, one doe. If they come down the drag line my entrance path is usually upwind of where I sit.

I primarily hunt in extreme slopes. My second property is flat mountain top with ag and forest on 3 sides. Hunt same way scent wise except accessing is way different. Much of the property is bedding area.

Latest posts