How do you know you've been busted?

fairchaser

How do you know if you've been busted a little? You snuck up to a gobbler on the roost and he pauses a couple minutes, then presumes gobbling another 5 minutes. You think ok, he doesn't suspect. You then scratch leaves and he gobbles more. Then he pitches across an open field 300 yards away and continues gobbling as he's walking away. You start to Yelp and cut hoping to turn him around but you know it's over. Did you get busted enough that he won't work? How does one know if he's been busted?

catman529

No you werent busted. They start putting and purring on the roost when they bust you. Seems like he was just being one of those turkeys.

When on the ground I know it's a bad sign when the snood comes up and he tucks the wings back.

Woodsman10

Not busted, but I think when they that they fly off because they weren't sure what you were. So he got a good distance and gobbled just in case you weren't a real hen

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

TheLBLman

catman529":nonrwtu1 said:
They start putting and purring on the roost when they bust you.
Sometimes they just become or stay totally quite, not even flying off the roost at the typical time.

I well remember one afternoon roosting an old longbeard, coming back the next morning, setting up well before first light, and then never hearing anything, not even a nearby fly-down. I knew of no better spot, and knew I would be busted by any birds within a couple hundred yards if I moved, so I just stayed put until mid-morning. As I was leaving, he flew off the roost, and had been roosted in the very tree I had to my back.

This was one of those "great" ideal sunny weather mornings in early April. He couldn't have seen my coming in, but probably was watching me sit there all morning, curiously wondering why I was occasionally making hen sounds. But not once did he make any sounds whatsoever.

I've also experienced several times when I had birds roosted, took a novice hunter to get his first bird, then he would make some unnatural noise, like the metallic sound of chambering a shell in his pump gun, or the loud sound of Velcro tearing, only to have those nearby roosted birds remain totally silent, then eventually just glide off the roost going away from us.

Once I took a good friend to a location where I had roosted 2 longbeards the evening before. Our setup was about 75 yards from the roost tree, and we arrived before dawn, totally quite. Time to load the guns. Before I could emphasize the importance of doing this quietly, he quickly chambered a round in his pump, seemingly proud of how much noise he made, like he was trying to alert a home invader he had a shotgun! Needless to say, those gobblers never made a sound, and simply glided off the roost later away from us. Normally, they would have landed right in front of us at that location. For many years, one of the advantages I had was that I could load my side-by-side turkey shotgun with zero noise. You cannot chamber a pump or autoloader as quietly. Some have never even thought about how such a noise can be all it takes to totally sabotage the opportunity they otherwise had.

Woodchuck

Woodsman10":30cdovui said:
Not busted, but I think when they that they fly off because they weren't sure what you were. So he got a good distance and gobbled just in case you weren't a real hen

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Exactly. You weren't busted hard but you were definitely noticed.

fairchaser

Cowman71":3byd42w0 said:
fairchaser":3byd42w0 said:
How do you know if you've been busted a little? You snuck up to a gobbler on the roost and he pauses a couple minutes, then presumes gobbling another 5 minutes. You think ok, he doesn't suspect. You then scratch leaves and he gobbles more. Then he pitches across an open field 300 yards away and continues gobbling as he's walking away. You start to Yelp and cut hoping to turn him around but you know it's over. Did you get busted enough that he won't work? How does one know if he's been busted?
Seems this gobbler has met you before. Repetition on your part is a recipe for disaster. Don't get so close. Try him from a different direction. Personally, I'd let 'em fly down and then make a move on him

I think you hit the proverbial nail Cowman. I've been trying different angles and approaches. So far he's a lot smarter than me.

Latest posts