How close to someone dying!

Smells Like Sulfur

Is it legal in Tennessee to hold someone at gunpoint for something like trespassing 20 ft onto your property?

I understand going down to confront the hunter armed, but it sounded like he had a gun pointed at him the entire time, and the dude was completely cooperative and trying to explain what was going on.

OnX is terribly off on my property lines as well, it says that my entire front yard is a cul-de-sac, and adds about an extra acre on the back side. On top of that, most GPSs on phones are accurate within about 10 meters. If someone was that close to my property line, I don't think I would be nearly as upset, especially knowing that GPS apps don't have my property lines marked properly.

deerhunter10

Wow could have been very very bad. Luckily for us and hate to speak ill of the dead the one person we have ever felt threatened by died. We always carried when we went to that lease. He was a certified nut job and made us feel very uneasy.

Snake

Definitely went south and could've ended up in someone getting killed. If AR guy is right and he's close to his house but still legal he could've talked to him and asked if he would move.
Ditto. If I'm ever in a predicament like that I'm calling the Big Boys from @sfmafia to go wiff me necks time . You can bet they won't out up with that junk @rem270 would sneak up behind him and @gasman would throat punch him where he'd fall over @rem270 . @RUGER would be there just in case he was needed .

DayDay

2-Step Enabled
That sounded to me like the hunter was set-up near a property line where he thought it was part of his leased ground since the property owner told him to move 20 ft away and he would be ok with it.. He used OnX to determine this (which is off by about 30 yds on one of my property lines). Also sounds like it was immediately behind the property owners house, This is the part where I would have a problem with - you know you're very close to a property line which is apparently not marked, you're very close to someone else's house and trusting OnX to be that exact. Not saying he should be shot over it, but I'd be pissed off too.

Edited for clarification
That's a good point. I don't know if the hunter was trespassing or if AR guy just didn't like the hunter being where he was. Since it's only 20 feet he is okay with then maybe it is just property line misunderstanding. I was thinking at first that AR guy just felt that 20 feet made it safer based on activity but 20 feet is really nothing So I'm still confused…

backyardtndeer

I often carry one of my ar's when walking my property, even hunt with one. That shouldn't escalate a situation, and I wouldn't be deliberately pointing my gun at anyone unless I felt threatened. Had a hard time following what the guy with the gun was saying. Sure I would be pissed finding someone on my property, but really did him no good using the f word for every other word, just made him sound ignorant. He really didn't seem to listen to the guy bow hunting either.

lafn96

That's a good point. I don't know if the hunter was trespassing or if AR guy just didn't like the hunter being where he was. Since it's only 20 feet he is okay with then maybe it is just property line misunderstanding. I was thinking at first that AR guy just felt that 20 feet made it safer based on activity but 20 feet is really nothing So I'm still confused…
You're right, 20 ft really is nothing. I don't think AR guy handled it well, but understand him being pissed.

About 7-8 years ago got a call from a neighbor telling me I got problems and sends me a pic of an unmarked white van 75 yards off my driveway at the bottom of a hill, next to a creek and in the middle of a bunch of trees. I grabbed my pistol and holster and went out there, the hill was steep enough the van slid into and was now wedged between some trees. He was still in the van and saw me coming, I kept a large oak between us but he could see parts of me (and that I had my hand on my holstered pistol) and yelled WTF do you think you're doing? Turned out to be an idiotic, very apologetic Amazon driver that thought going down this steep hill would be a good place to turn around. Turned into quite the fiasco, as the tow truck that came to get him also got stuck and they had to bring a bigger one out.

The amazon driver wasn't what I would call a trespasser, but he also had no business being where he was. There was no way for me to know what this guy was doing or why he was there - and until I got an understanding of the situation you're damn right I'm taking the "I'm in charge here" stance.

Smells Like Sulfur

Taking a bow to a gunfight ain't what I'd call brave ...stupid maybe but I'd got my stuff and skeedaddle . There are idiots out there brothers . I'd figure out from landowner of the property I'd leased to be definitely sure I was in the right and take a sidearm necks time .
I think in this situation if the hunter had been carrying a sidearm and made any reach for it, he probably would have been shot immediately. I'm not saying that you shouldn't carry a sidearm, but I think it probably would have escalated it to a gunfight if the hunter had pulled a sidearm. It also would have given AR guy a more justifiable reason to shoot him.

It would have been framed as, "trespasser pulls gun on landowner, landowner shoots trespasser."

Ski

No way you shake it the guy went in armed looking for trouble with a threatening demeanor, and refused to identify himself. Worse yet it doesn't seem he actually knew where the property line was. He was just mad because somebody was close to it.

Not sure exactly how many laws the guy broke but I'd guess if the hunter filed charges and it went to court, the armed man would be facing felony charges and would likely lose his gun rights. He'd for certain be arrested.

gasman

Ditto. If I'm ever in a predicament like that I'm calling the Big Boys from @sfmafia to go wiff me necks time . You can bet they won't out up with that junk @rem270 would sneak up behind him and @gasman would throat punch him where he'd fall over @rem270 . @RUGER would be there just in case he was needed .
Clarification.... I am #HatchieBottomBoyz, not #SFMAFIA. Although we are friends, WE AIN'T THE SAME. 🤣

Latest posts