Hot and windy, where to sit

catman529

Got the day off tomorrow but it will be fairly warm and increasingly windy. It was warm today and I didn't see squat in one honey hole. I'm thinking I'll just sit on the ground in a cedar thicket early, and then get up and stillhunt around for a while. What would you do? I'm going to try and stay on the ground and not climb any trees. Cedar glades sound good to me but what do y'all say.

TN Whitetail Freak

My best technique:

Treestand hunting im up and in the shower around 3:30 leaving at 4 arrive at 4:30 and hike in up the tree a hunt ready at 5:15

Still hunt a thicket everything is 1hr 15 min earlier
Up at 2:15 leaving at 2:45 and ariving at 3:15 except this time im hiking directly into the heart of the thicket and sit still to around 7-7:30 then the still hunting begins.....my travel rate is about 100-150 yards an hour its SLOOOOOOOOOW

Oh if you can get away with it where a pair of small crocs or another smaller shoe....less surface area = less noise thats why deer are so quiet

Woodson223

Get as close to a bedding area as you can without spooking them.There moving but not very far from there bedding area.

TRIGGER

I have been looking into a pine thicket since it was light enough to see. The only deer I have seen all day were before legal time. My buddy is hunting a creek bottom on the outskirts of a thicket with no luck either.

catman529

Well I started out sitting near the corner of a big cedar thicket. I was half asleep when a twig popped and then a deer blew and ran off to private land. Must have smelled me although I didn't know the wind was going that way. So a few mins later I got up and checked the field where the deer ran. Here come a doe across the field quartering towards me. Well of course she's on private land so I sat down and waited. About when she should have been getting close, I saw her and another deer running back across the field with tails up. Guess they must have smelled me for sure.

All the stillhunting just jumped one small deer off the bed. Going to get lunch now and then find an evening spot.