Food for All Day Sit

TX300mag

I'm in a pop-up blind with one of my daughters for an all-day hunt. She packed the vittles.

Me: What's for lunch?
She: Sardines
Me: What what else?
She: Sardines
Me: nothing else?
She: just sardines

She brought several cans, but I don't think she even bought a fork. And how do you even dispose of the cans a mile hike into the woods?

Maybe I need to stock hunting camp better. 🫣

Black Titan

I take a can every hunt. Along with a can of pork and beans, either beanie weenies or Viennas, a small fruit cup, a sandwich of some sort, 1 or 2 little Debbie's of course, several of the small slim jims, and a small protein/energy type bar that I eat once I'm situated in the stand.

The sardines in oil are probably my favorite, with the mustard a close second, then hot sauce. Don't like the ones in water.

As far as pack out, I usually keep an empty gallon size ziplock in my lunch bag. The sardine can goes in the sandwich bag, then that goes in the gallon bag along with the cans from the pork and beans, and viennas/beanie weenies. Pack it right back out in my lunch bag.

BT

Omega

I normally don't take anything with a strong odor except my coffee. I used to buy these meals that would be in an envelope which you could either warm up in hot water, or if you have access to them, MRE heaters. But they stopped making them for some reason, though I still look now and then to see if they make a comeback. Now I am thinking of Ramen noodles in a bowl (just add hot water), bologna, hotdogs/sausage, trail mix, breakfast bars. The ramen and hotdogs/sausage would be for dinner once off stand, in the stand it's maybe a sandwich or the breakfast bars with trail mix for a snack. I couldn't see me opening a can of sardines or even those packets of tuna salad in the stand, I would be raided by racoons I would think.

tellico4x4

LOL! Reminds me of first western hunt in 1979. Our wives went to store to buy groceries for us & we paid no attention to what they bought until we were unloading truck in a Colorado drop camp. We had 27 cans of Vienna sausages! Don't remember much about what else they bought but that was the main staple for the week. Had them raw, fried & in omelette. Bet I haven't ate 3 of them since. Valuable lesson learned, but your own groceries 😂

Speedgoat19

Lol I'd need to carry a burp bag to hide my scent.

I usually grab beef jerky, pack of cashews with dried fruit, some PB crackers, and a few PB&Js.

The protein does keep you fuller longer, for sure. Put it all in ziploc bags as I find they're less noisy than their original packaging.

Also in my experience, oatmeal for breakfast fills me up for while… just need to time it right so I answer mother natures call before I leave. I swear I wake up an extra hour early just to ensure bathroom success lol.

Black Titan

Lol I'd need to carry a burp bag to hide my scent.

I usually grab beef jerky, pack of cashews with dried fruit, some PB crackers, and a few PB&Js.

The protein does keep you fuller longer, for sure. Put it all in ziploc bags as I find they're less noisy than their original packaging.

Also in my experience, oatmeal for breakfast fills me up for while… just need to time it right so I answer mother natures call before I leave. I swear I wake up an extra hour early just to ensure bathroom success lol.

Same man, same! Except it's not the oatmeal that makes that phone ring for me, it's the coffee. I can normally time it at right about a cup to a cup and a half of coffee. Funny how our bodies work sometimes.

But agree 100% on the oatmeal, full of good carbs for energy too. That's my go-to for breakfast before going out each morning. Back when I was weight training and going to the gym 6 days a week, my breakfast would be a bowl of plain oatmeal with a scoop of chocolate protein powder, and a cut up banana. Lots of energy there.

BT

Speedgoat19

Same man, same! Except it's not the oatmeal that makes that phone ring for me, it's the coffee. I can normally time it at right about a cup to a cup and a half of coffee. Funny how our bodies work sometimes.

But agree 100% on the oatmeal, full of good carbs for energy too. That's my go-to for breakfast before going out each morning. Back when I was weight training and going to the gym 6 days a week, my breakfast would be a bowl of plain oatmeal with a scoop of chocolate protein powder, and a cut up banana. Lots of energy there.

BT
Haha the coffee is the killer 😂 I opt for a small can of the sugar free monster drinks now to avoid any unpleasantness.

I'll have to bring some protein powder to camp this year though to mix in - great call!

TX300mag

She got to the boat ramp yesterday evenings after fishing and had an empty can on the front of her kayak. 😁

I remember once when they were little the scrounged up sone dinner on their own. Sardines, liverwurst, and peanut butter wrapped up in a tortilla. 😬 I'm not a picky eater, but I don't know about that,

Latest posts