Hornady SST Performance on Game

UTGrad

I started shooting factory Hornady Superperformance out of my 308 with the 150 grain SST. I haven't taken any game yet with this ammo and wanted to get feedback on the Hornady SST's performance on deer. Any reviews on the SST bullet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
Based on what I've heard, it should be very similar to ballistic tips: devastating broadside DRT performance, but don't expect a consistent exit wound, and realize that it may have some limitations on hard quartering shots on bigger animals

huntinkev

I've shot them out of .270 and 7mm-08. Like someone else said, devastating. Most don't take another step, few have run very short distance...less than 30 yards.

bigtex

I use them in my .260, great terminal performance and very accurate in that rifle. Tried them in the .270 and was not impressed with the accuracy in that particular rifle. I could of probably worked up a load that would of been accurate but that rifle likes the Hornady spire points already.

ROVERBOY

I've meant to try these sometime but, haven't yet. My .308 shoots really good with 150 gr. Hornady Spirepoints. I've killed probably 25 deer over the years with them loaded behind Win. 748.

ROVERBOY

bigtex":11iykmfv said:
I use them in my .260, great terminal performance and very accurate in that rifle. Tried them in the .270 and was not impressed with the accuracy in that particular rifle. I could of probably worked up a load that would of been accurate but that rifle likes the Hornady spire points already.
I noticed you shoot a .260. That's a great caliber but, I don't know what happened to it. When it first came out, you couldn't pick up a gun magazine without seeing something about it. Now its unheard of. A shame.

bigtex

ROVERBOY":1csu9hf8 said:
bigtex":1csu9hf8 said:
I noticed you shoot a .260. That's a great caliber but, I don't know what happened to it. When it first came out, you couldn't pick up a gun magazine without seeing something about it. Now its unheard of. A shame.
Yep, I love my .260 Remington Mdl 7. If my wife hunts with me she always claims that little rifle. We have both killed our fair share of Deer with it.
I purchased mine around 1997 I think, I don't believe they had been out very long and ammo and reloading dies were hard to come by.
I don't know exactly why they fell out of favor, maybe the lack of factory ammo? On paper it outperforms the 6.5 Creedmoor and we all know how popular that rifle is lol.
Back on subject...........when I first started loading for the .260 I used my all time favorite bullet the Hornady Spire points, [I use them in just about all my rifles except my 7-08] Why? Because you get twice as many bullets in a box as you do most of the Noslers for about the same price. [yeah i'm a cheapskate] and I found out they kill just as dead as the more expensive bullets. But on a whim I picked up a box of SST's and tried them. They were just a little more accurate in my rifle and I was very impressed when I killed the first Deer with them so that is what i've stuck with ever since.

Stykbow

I shot the SST's thru my 300 Win mag. Shoot one thru the ribs and you'll get an exit; a dang big one. Hit them in the shoulder and you most likely won't. Of course the shoulder hit is a DRT situation so it ain't a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clwg97

2-Step Enabled
My dad used them in his 7 rem mag. He said it was total devastation. He said they tore up meat, but they shot really well and the deer hit the ground. He switched back to Core-Loks just because the SST was so devastating.

Latest posts