History of TN Deer

dhpro

Re: History of TN Deer

BULL MOOSE":ymece96q said:
I purchased this buck off of my uncle. He swears up and down that is father shot the deer in Lawrence County early during the restoration period. No picture exists of the Hunter and his kill. I was unaware that some black-tailed deer had been released in Tennessee. If some of these deer had been stocked in South Lawrence County, then it would make sense. I have thought about having this rack DNA tested.
Was told that Hamilton county had black tail deer in the early 70 at the old tnt plant?

Biggun4214

I spoke with Dan today. We looked up kills from Chuck Swan/Central Peninsula. 9Here are some actually numbers 1954-731, 55-990, 56-1229, 57-1535, 58-1079, 59-691, 60-329, and 61-191. In 1970 the kill was 1158 and the "modern day high" was in 1986 with a kill of 803. This occurred on about 24,000 acres.

TboneD

Biggun4214":3agwx8xl said:
I spoke with Dan today. We looked up kills from Chuck Swan/Central Peninsula. 9Here are some actually numbers 1954-731, 55-990, 56-1229, 57-1535, 58-1079, 59-691, 60-329, and 61-191. In 1970 the kill was 1158 and the "modern day high" was in 1986 with a kill of 803. This occurred on about 24,000 acres.

Wow. That place must've been really thick with them. Bet there was one heck of a browse line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheLBLman

To put those 1950's (and 60's) harvest numbers in better perspective, many of today's most popular WMAs deer-hunting counties didn't have a deer season. It was a time when the majority of Tennessee's hunters looked forward to each November for great days afield hunting birds and rabbits.

TboneD":3ve4rhty said:
Bet there was one heck of a browse line.
WAS?

Some of the habitat damage was more permanent in nature.

TboneD

TheLBLman":2nnl9l1m said:
To put those 1950's (and 60's) harvest numbers in better perspective, many of today's most popular WMAs deer-hunting counties didn't have a deer season. It was a time when the majority of Tennessee's hunters looked forward to each November for great days afield hunting birds and rabbits.

TboneD":2nnl9l1m said:
Bet there was one heck of a browse line.
WAS?

Some of the habitat damage was more permanent in nature.

I believe it. And as for perspective, even though it was a peninsula, this history shows us how deer distribution can vary GREATLY! So why does TN "manage" the deer herd like it does on the left side of the state? It's like they ignore what they should've learned and think deer reproduce like hogs or rabbits. Look up the newest issue of Field of Stream under "State of the Deer Union".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crosshairy

Poser":3lm053tr said:
Entirely hypothetical question, but let's suppose that the Blacktail deer had taken root. Anyone care to speculate what the outcome would have been? Would there have been an eradication effort at some point?

I guess that's possible, if the disease issues hadn't cleared them out.

In general, it probably would have become a "good" thing for Tennessee, simply because the unique antler and body genetics relative to other regional states would have created a special demand to hunt in Tennessee for "special" deer. Record books and such would be a nightmare to keep up with, but I guess the western pacific states deal with that some, too.

In general, deer and human genetics draw parallels...due to unprecedented movement of people/species groups in the modern age, biological distinction is more blurry than it once was. My ancestry is a mish-mash, and it looks like the same could be said of many Tennessee deer.

Mike Belt

I was under the impression that no matter what breeding stock is used their inherent characteristics would dilute after generations of mixed breeding and adapting to their new localized conditions. Sort of a "water will seek it's own level" thing...

scn

Mike Belt":3229r469 said:
I was under the impression that no matter what breeding stock is used their inherent characteristics would dilute after generations of mixed breeding and adapting to their new localized conditions. Sort of a "water will seek it's own level" thing...

IMO, that is exactly what happens, Mike.

Mike Belt

The only thing I've noticed hunting different areas over the years as far as genetics is that some areas seem to have a disposition for antler developments. An example would be that a disproportionate number of the bucks might be only 7 pointers versus 8+ pointers while another area may lean towards more bucks having drop tines or having a good percentage of 9+ points. The crazy thing is that this may hold true for several years and then flip flop.

AXL78

I've seen similar Mike. I know an area that a lot of the deer often times lack browtines or they are very small, but have otherwise nice racks.

Biggun4214

As far as genetics if the genes are there in both parents if the right combination occurs then that trait appears. An example would be black angus cattle with the red gene in their lineage. It may not show up for many generations then boom a red calf.

CDUB

TheLBLman":kha4cgsk said:
Also, note how so many of the current higher deer-kill counties never had any deer stocked.

Seemed to take somewhere around 10 years for deer stocked in one county to "populate" across an adjoining county?
On another thread "Crossing the Campbell County Line", some seem to think the deer are genetically different in two adjoining counties.

Is there much chance there could be any significant genetic difference between the deer of two adjoining counties (without any physical barriers between) after several decades?

Marion county seems to have 2 different herds and the physical barrier is I-24. To the north is mainly a November rut and to the south and into northern AL is a December rut. Stories, personal experience, and fetal studies all back this theory....

Latest posts