high yield okra

BowGuy84

I love okra...pickled, boiled, or fried. I have grown it the past two years and the plants get over head height and yield 20ish okra pods.

I thought I remembered my grandfather growing shorter bushier okra that yielded a lot more. My plants have been pretty spaced out too...

Any advice on how to get a high okra yield? spacing, variety, all suggestions welcomed.

Sako

I have some seeds from the plants you are looking for... more bush like than tall stalks. They only grow about 4 feet tall and have several main shoots that come off of them. they also produce well.

Save a few pods each year (let them dry on the stalk) and you can use the seeds next year... Okra is one of the easy ones to do this way.

PM me your address and I will send you some.

catman529

I planted some okra for the first time this year, after deciding I didn't want to pick the pods off of other people's neglected plants so I could take credit for growing them myself... anyway I planted Emerald, if I'm not mistaken, this is a prolific yet very short variety, kind of like a dwarf type, that won't get head height.

TX300mag

A LA expert okra grower :) has convinced me to thinning them out to 6' spacing. :eek: We'll see how that goes.

When mine gets too tall to pick, I cut it back to waist high. It comes back thicker and doesn't grow as tall the second time around.

Latest posts