Okra

gil1

I'm going to plant some seeds this year and a couple of young okra plants. So when do I plant the seeds? And the plants?
Thanks.

TAFKAP

Make sure you allow enough room. they get BIG.

And wear long sleeves when you pick them.

catman529

TAFKAP said:
And wear long sleeves when you pick them.
X2 that would definitely help.

Okra was very easy for me to grow. Plant seeds, watch it grow.... the hard part was keeping up with picking all the pods.

fishboy1

Okra hates the cold. I would wait until the end of the month.

You can start early but if we get cold weather like we are having today/tomorrow they will either rot in the ground or stall out if already growing.

Last year we planted okra too early. Got about 4" high and we had a cool spell. Plants stalled and the new seeds we planted a couple weeks later actually grew faster than the stalled plants.

TX300mag

fishboy1 said:
Okra hates the cold. I would wait until the end of the month.

You can start early but if we get cold weather like we are having today/tomorrow they will either rot in the ground or stall out if already growing.

Last year we planted okra too early. Got about 4" high and we had a cool spell. Plants stalled and the new seeds we planted a couple weeks later actually grew faster than the stalled plants.

Exactly! Okra will stunt if the soil temperature isn't high enough. I plant mine 30 days behind everything else here.

dt-34715

now is time to plant. if you plant seeds, plant shallow and space about 18 inches apart. I usually put 2 or 3 seeds and thin out once it starts growing.

TX300mag

The further apart you plant, the more they will bush rather than getting too tall to pick. 6" isn't too far if you have a little room. Overall production will pe at least as good with fewer plants.

Latest posts