High priced olive oil.

BowGuy84

One of my friends from college just got into this business...or I should say his parents probably paid the start up cost for him to get into it. Not sure I understand it. Maybe I just havent had "great" olive oil...Im doing fine without it.

redblood

It is expensive. Best to buy it in bulk from a food service supply store. I am italian and cannot cook with it. Can't see how anyone can, but they think a lot of it, especially the extra virgin and virgin varieties.

bowriter

R.I.P.
I have a friend in New Yawk-His entire family lives in Sicily. They own olive groves and tomatoe plantaions and may possibly dabble in some other things. Anyway.

He has his olive oil and his tomatoe (gravey) shipped to him. Will not use anything else. His wife makes all the pasta from scratch.

Never in my life had ravioli like that. Made me want to weep. I taught him to deer hunt and he taught me to make a deal.

green doe

My extra virgin olive oil is a bit on the expensive side but definitely not like in that article. I use it for raw applications where I won't be cooking it or if there are very few ingredients in the recipe or if there is a lot of olive oil and I don't want it the dish to taste like ashes. There is a huge difference in the EV olive oil I now use vs the one I used to use.

I make a pan pizza that uses 3 T of olive oil in the pan under the crust. I hated it the first time I made it and could barely eat it. I tried it again with the better EV olive oil and that pizza turned out excellent. Every time since, I use the more expensive EV olive oil and the pizza has been a winner.

I do have regular (not extra virgin) olive oil which is just a normal brand but I don't use it much. I'd just as much prefer to use a clean-tasting canola oil or corn oil than use a dirty tasting olive oil.

bowriter

R.I.P.
I only use the EVOO for certain things. Usually I just Bertolis regular. Tell the truth, I'm not sure I can tell the difference. I use canola for frying and hog lard for fish :)

jb3

Yeah, canola for frying and usually, the only time evoo is used is usually finishing the dish (pasta). Sometimes a little at the beginning is sweating onions/shallots, but thats put in at the same time as butter, one to one portion size. Reminds me, got some brown butter sauce and gnocchi waiting at home.

Wildcat

green doe said:
My extra virgin olive oil is a bit on the expensive side but definitely not like in that article. I use it for raw applications where I won't be cooking it or if there are very few ingredients in the recipe or if there is a lot of olive oil and I don't want it the dish to taste like ashes. There is a huge difference in the EV olive oil I now use vs the one I used to use.

I make a pan pizza that uses 3 T of olive oil in the pan under the crust. I hated it the first time I made it and could barely eat it. I tried it again with the better EV olive oil and that pizza turned out excellent. Every time since, I use the more expensive EV olive oil and the pizza has been a winner.

I do have regular (not extra virgin) olive oil which is just a normal brand but I don't use it much. I'd just as much prefer to use a clean-tasting canola oil or corn oil than use a dirty tasting olive oil.

I agree 100%, looks like you use it the same way I do.

I do NOT use EV olive oil all the time in everything but in certain dishes it makes all the difference in the world. I also do not just go with the chepest olive oil but stick with name brands.

I do NOT fry or bake with it.

bowriter

R.I.P.
There is...or use to be an oil made from rape (canola) that was "kinda" spun or pasturized or something. Finest oil in the world for frying. I can't remember what it was called-very expensive.

I make a lot of vinagarette salad dressings and hollandaise-the mother sauce and bernaise and stuff like that and I use the best EVOO I can get for that but for everything else, I can't much tell the difference. I use Bertoli and meld with with unsalted butter.

To fry fish, you can't beat hog lard. :)

Back when we killed our own hogs, we use to render our own lard and end up with a dozen lard stands and get drunk and eat cracklins till we all puked and fell on the ground.

May be more than you want to know.

BowGuy84

bowriter said:
Back when we killed our own hogs, we use to render our own lard and end up with a dozen lard stands and get drunk and eat cracklins till we all puked and fell on the ground.

May be more than you want to know.

Nope not at all...if anyone ever does something like this let me know! Id love to get after it with some butchering and what not.

bowriter

R.I.P.
The only place I know to get it is from rendering your own. There be some available in some stores but I don't know. I do know it tastes great but it really isn't good for you. But home fried cracklins with really cold beer is as good as it gets.

We would kill hogs on a cold morning and then start rendering the lard and eating the cracklins. We would have one or maybe two butts or shoulders on a low fire and the women would all make a side dish. Might be as many as 30 of us neighbors. I was the "fire boy" it was my job to keep the cooking fire at the right level. Lord the stories...and lies told. God to be young again.

Latest posts