Hey TNCharlie

catman529

Or anyone else who can answer. What weight oil is good to put in the lower unit on the Briggs and Stratton 5hp? I'm going to flush it out and put new oil in for the season. Also going to change the regular oil in the motor... Guessing SAE 30 or similar for the motor, but I can look that up myself.

TNCharlie

For the lower unit I think I used 80W-90. Just look in the oil section for gear lube. It's in a sqeeze bottle. You fill the lower unit by removing the plug on the bottom (actually a small bolt) and the vent screw above it. You fill it by sqeezing the gear lube into the bottom hole until it flows out the top vent then quickly plugging everything up, starting with the bottom plug. Sound backwards to fill from the bottom but that forces out any air pockets.

30W is fine for the engine. I probably used 10w-40 because I keep it around for all my small engines, but I don't think it matters a great deal.

Glad you're getting some mileage out of that motor. I had a ton of fun with it.

catman529

I think I'm gonna run some Sea Foam thru it so it runs smoother too. Can't wait to get on the water. Thanks for the advice, I will pick up some of the gear lube soon. I have a little SAE 30 but not sure if it's enough for the motor so I'll probably pick up a quart of that too.

Latest posts