Henry To'oto'o

Mescalero

Yep, imagine that. The rich get richer, and the richest of all gets richerer (I know that's not a word, but it probably is in Alabama).

There were signs that he was going to take I-75 north to I-71, but alas no dice.

Saban runs that program like an NFL franchise. It's obvious that he processes guys, and if you aren't living up to your 4 or 5 star rating after a year or two, you are cut and told to hit the road. While that's not wrong or a violation of any of the rules that I'm aware of, I wouldn't say that it's right. And it gives his team a distinct advantage. How? Take a look at the recruiting class numbers and average player rating based on 247 for the 2017-2021 classes and compare Alabama to Georgia, Oklahoma, Clemson, LSU, and Ohio State, and this is how it shakes out:

Alabama: 130 players, 93.72 avg rating
Georgia: 121 players, 93.25 avg
Oklahoma: 115 players, 91.13 avg
Clemson: 102 players, 92.55 avg
LSU: 116 players, 91.58 avg.
Ohio State: 110 players, 93.41 avg

Over that time period, Saban got 9 more bites than Georgia, 15 more than OU, 28 more than Clemson(!), 14 more than LSU, and 20 more than Ohio State(!). Because he's processing out guys every year, in any one of those years he likely had, for example, four better players on the field than Ohio State and almost six better players on the field than Clemson! Did having just two better players on the field in 2017 help Alabama beat Georgia for the national championship? It certainly didn't hurt. But the SEC and NCAA just keeps allowing it to go on.

cbhunter

He was a great run stopper but severely lacked in pass coverage. I think that mostly falls on coaching though. I still not sure he will be a starter there....at least for the first year. Time will tell.

RobbyW

Yep, imagine that. The rich get richer, and the richest of all gets richerer (I know that's not a word, but it probably is in Alabama).

There were signs that he was going to take I-75 north to I-71, but alas no dice.

Saban runs that program like an NFL franchise. It's obvious that he processes guys, and if you aren't living up to your 4 or 5 star rating after a year or two, you are cut and told to hit the road. While that's not wrong or a violation of any of the rules that I'm aware of, I wouldn't say that it's right. And it gives his team a distinct advantage. How? Take a look at the recruiting class numbers and average player rating based on 247 for the 2017-2021 classes and compare Alabama to Georgia, Oklahoma, Clemson, LSU, and Ohio State, and this is how it shakes out:

Alabama: 130 players, 93.72 avg rating
Georgia: 121 players, 93.25 avg
Oklahoma: 115 players, 91.13 avg
Clemson: 102 players, 92.55 avg
LSU: 116 players, 91.58 avg.
Ohio State: 110 players, 93.41 avg

Over that time period, Saban got 9 more bites than Georgia, 15 more than OU, 28 more than Clemson(!), 14 more than LSU, and 20 more than Ohio State(!). Because he's processing out guys every year, in any one of those years he likely had, for example, four better players on the field than Ohio State and almost six better players on the field than Clemson! Did having just two better players on the field in 2017 help Alabama beat Georgia for the national championship? It certainly didn't hurt. But the SEC and NCAA just keeps allowing it to go on.
Allowing it to go on?

What should they do?

Mescalero

Allowing it to go on?

Allowing it to go on?

What should they do?
Hard cap, no more than 25 in a class. During that 2017-2021 period, Alabama took in 29, 22, 27, 25, and 27 recruits. The other teams' highs and lows: Georgia 26 (x2), 20 (avg 24); Oklahoma 28, 16 (avg 23); Clemson 29, 14 (avg 20); LSU 25, 22 (x2) (avg 23); Ohio State 26, 17 (avg 22). Bama classes have averaged 26 recruits or 2, 3, 6, 3, and 4 more players than the others.

wayne

He'll redshirt won't he? Already missed spring and won't be able to participate until fall. That will give him time to learn how to pass defend.
Great player on a bad defense. Mediocre at Alabama. Best of luck to him.

RobDooley

I really do not care. It just goes to show...there is no allegiance to the university. Its all about me. And the same applies to coaches. Show me the money and I'm gone.

Mescalero

Well would you look at that
Read that AL.com article. Connect the dots. The author is a Pulitzer Prize winning journalist, not some hack, access journalist. It's a classic syndicate (notice how I left out the word "criminal," which it isn't), but it is patterned after the structure for the New York, Buffalo, Cleveland, and Chicago "families"established by Lucky Luciano that survives to this day. Nick Saban is not "the Boss", but who is "the Commission"? Nick is a "capo" in the family. Boss (Jr), Underboss (Angus), Consigliere (Karen), the capos, the stoladate, made men), the associates (not made men, but the bag men and Bryant Bank VPs).

TreyB

F8033C87-F023-498D-A5B2-092CB7D7D913.png

PillsburyDoughboy

Nick Saban doing what he does. Finding players who he thinks can keep ALABAMA deep on the bench while at the same time making sure other teams do not have the talent in areas that would help them.

Gotta love what he is doing at ALABAMA.

Roll Tide.

Latest posts