henry h001 sights

83Toyota

I don't hunt, so I own lever guns purely for the novelty and tradition. Also, because I grew up watching old Western movies and TV shows. In those old Westerns, there were only 2 kinds of long guns, a double-barrel shotgun and a lever gun. The lever guns were almost always Winchester, with an occasional Henry here and there. My first choices are always Winchesters, but a 9422 can be a little pricey and I'm not sure of the quality of the models past the mid 70's. Maybe someone more knowledgeable might be able to speak on that. Then there's Henry. Henry had a levergun before Winchester did. I know the current Henry company is a different incarnation, than 150+ years ago, but that's still where my interest lies. As fine as the Marlin and Mossberg are, I don't have an interest in their lever guns. I'm quite happy with the H001 Henry. Any tips?

Last edited:

Hunter 257W

I've sold a few Henry's of various models and chamberings to people over the years and nobody has ever complained about them. One source for Winchester model 92 style guns that you might consider is the imports that Taylor Firearms is selling now. I have no experience with them but I understand they are made by Uberti and I've got 3 Uberti single action revolvers that I'm happy with. Have owned two of them for more than 20 years. If they can build revolvers that work they should be able to do the same with a Winchester 92. Like yourself I love old Westerns and you are right that Model 92's are well represented in the gun battles! :)

Grainger

I've got the same gun, the "Classic Lever Action 22".

Yeah, the 9422 is awful pricey, if you can even find one.

Didn't have to "settle" for a Henry--a fine gun in it's own right.

Banging a 4" spinner at 50 yds can get downright boring after you do it 3 or 4 mag loads in a row.

It's the only rifle I own without optics, wanted to have at least one rifle with just some iron sights.

It really likes Standard Velocity/subsonic ammo.

TheAirMan

I love mine. I had to contact them and have them send me the front sight for the 22wmr version because its a taller sight and mine would still shoot high with my rear sight all the way down. From what I gathered it might not be an every gun thing but its pretty common. I would like to get some kind of peep sight for mine if I knew I could find one that I could just put on and it work.

Latest posts