HELP!

scn

Ok, to start with the positives, I got to start another turkey season. I did my first 52 years ago. I think I missed one or two seasons while I was at UT, but haven't missed being in the woods since at least '77. With age, health, etc, I certainly no longer take it for granted. It was almost a spiritual experience to watch the sun come up on Saturday while I listened for a gobble. We no longer have many birds (at least compared to a decade ago), so I wasn't surprised to just hear one at a distance.

I normally don't have an opportunity to scout ahead of time due to distance to my lease and everyday life. So, I have started on the same ridge for several years. It is a high spot, and normally somewhere in that compartment (our lease is set up in hunt compartments) I can at least hear a distant bird to go to. It is a typical Westvaco type of deal with pines along the ridge top and hardwoods down in the creek bottom. Over the years, I have found the birds to roost in the hardwoods right off the top of the ridge. They putz around for a while after fly down, and usually end up in the creek bottom. I have a tree to set up on that overlooks a flat in the bottom that has given me four longbeards to the call over the years.

But, I am like a moth drawn to a flame hearing a roosted gobbler. I can't help myself thinking that today is the day that I can close the deal at flydown. Sneaking towards the edge of those pines, setting up, and hearing him fly down and start his thing is where hope springs eternal. I can think back on at least six birds that I had close enough to shoot if I could have seen them. When you can hear him spit and drum(at least back when I could hear drumming), and FEEL the percussion from his gobble, you know he is there. I've worn a safety out dealing with them. And, every time, I have lost. I remember seeing one white head for a split second. The rest never popped up. Yes, unfortunately, it is that steep. I finally learned to ignore them off the roost, head low, and call them in at 8-9am. It is a hole, so the carrying would have been much better if I could have closed the deal on top.

This year was different. They are pretty much raping my lease with clear cuts of the pines, and some very non-selective hardwood cuts. It likely bodes well for the deer in the future, but, I highly suspect not so good for the turkeys. They had cut all of the pines off the top of this ridge. So, I eased down to start. I heard one bird way at a distance, but thought I might know where he was roosted. I eased way up the bottom trying to get a gobble with no luck. So, I eased back and set up on my lucky tree. A call or two later I called up an old hen that was PO'd when she couldn't find the hen that had called right above her. She was very vocal as she walked by at 10 ft. I let her make a ruckus hoping her calling might get a gobbler stirred up.

After she worked off, I heard a faint gobble from the top of the ridge. Since there was very little sign in the bottom I decided to head up. My hearing SUCKS, and it is difficult for me to pinpoint gobbles these days. The first time I heard it, I thought it was to my left. Then, as I climbed out, I hear a bird to my right. As I topped out where my truck was parked, I looked up the road to my right and saw one strutting with a hen. I knew that I couldn't call from there with my truck 20 yds away.

So, I ease back down the trail from the bottom and make a loop through the woods. By then, I hear a bird gobbling down in the next hollow. I eased as close as I dared, and set up. Again, I had about 30-35 yards to where it dropped off fast. He answered my first call and cut the distance pretty quick. I had the gun up and safety off getting ready to close the deal. I heard him gobble and spit, and was ready for him to pop up to die. And, just like every time before, he didn't. I am pretty sure he was no further than 35 yds, but he may as well have been 135 for the good it did me. After the silent period, I hear him gobble back where he came from. I suspect it was the bird I saw in the road, and he had that hen with him. I called him up to shooting range three more times over the next half hour without ever seeing him. The last time I held on his last gobble about 15 minutes and never heard another peep. If I had heard him working down the hollow I probably would have been crazy enough to get back down in the bottom, but, I was tired and pissed at that point.

Don't get me wrong. I would rather play the GAME with one like that than shoot one that comes in silent. But, for our true turkey killers on here, what advise do you have to get one to come about five more steps up the hill where I can see that beard. I am tire of losing.

If you made it this far, sorry for the length. Saturday was another blessed day in the turkey woods for me. I would have liked to pull the trigger, but, I got to sit down on one and play, and that has made living out the last year through some covid crap worth the hassle. NEVER take turkey time for granted.

Last edited:

prstide

No, but I have seriously considered jumping up a time or two with the gun up and ready to shoot. The tree deal might help, but, it is hard to not set up where I know I am pretty inconspicuous.
I have the same issue with a spot in Henry Co I hunt some. The ravine type elevation change makes it tough. I've called ''em in and been set up too high to get a shot and have had similar experiences like you describe where they're right there, gobbling to where you can feel it, but never show themselves. Frustrating and defeating without a doubt. Hopefully someone can give you some suggestion to bring success.

I bet @Setterman would probably let you borrow that R/C strutter decoy he uses.😁

PalsPal

Don't get me wrong. I would rather play the GAME with one like that than shoot one that comes in silent.

This is me to a T.

Playing The GAME is what sets turkey hunting apart from any other pursuit.

If you made it this far, sorry for the length.

No need to apologize. I was with you word for word and feel your frustration.

The terrain obviously throws yet another obstacle in the way. I have no advice.

Good luck.

TDW05

2-Step Enabled
If it is a flat and falls off both sides, then instead of setting up on the flat, I would set up on the back side and call him up on flat and have him peek over the back side. I believe something is giving you away very easily. They probably have that spot pegged since you said it's a traditional spot and you always seem to get skirted. Or you could crawl to edge and get behind tree on your belly. Hopefully hide enough to blast him coming up the ridge.

scn

I've shot quite a few standing behind a tree or on my knees in steep country. All the normal stuff, call behind you to make yourself seem farther away, scratching, etc.
I may try the tree/knee deal next time.

I am a big leaves scratcher. Harold taught me many years ago to get one coming and toss the call (figuratively) where I am not tempted to use it and scratch in the leaves. It elevated my kills.

In the hindsight part, I think this might have been a time to have gotten on him heavy that first round. Who knows, and that is why I could do it every day.

scn

If it is a flat and falls off both sides, then instead of setting up on the flat, I would set up on the back side and call him up on flat and have him peek over the back side. I believe something is giving you away very easily. They probably have that spot pegged since you said it's a traditional spot and you always seem to get skirted. Or you could crawl to edge and get behind tree on your belly. Hopefully hide enough to blast him coming up the ridge.
This time I was two hollows over from the normal battle ground. It is too far to be on the other side of the high spot. But, something obviously needs to give.

knightrider

I live and hunt some of the steepest stuff in the county, they will skirt you every time the way you describe, stop setting on the flat. Get under the roll one side or the other, either call him across the flat or setup where you know which edge he is gonna come around. Sitting on the hillside is tiring but you get alot more shots, rather then just listening to them strut around the side hill below you

TN Larry

Something else to consider if this makes sense and the terrain allows is get to where he skirted you and try to call him back. I've been pinned down several times, let the bird work off, get to where he just was, and call him back to take a peak. It doesn't always work but an option in wooded terrain where you can't get in front of him.

megalomaniac

If the leaf scratching didn't work and you think it's almost over... break out the jake caulking and jake/gobbler yelps. Most of the time it doesn't work, but I've killed a few that were hung up over a rise that came right in when they thought another male was close to finding the hen before them

woodsman04

Ok, to start with the positives, I got to start another turkey season. I did my first 52 years ago. I think I missed one or two seasons while I was at UT, but haven't missed being in the woods since at least '77. With age, health, etc, I certainly no longer take it for granted. It was almost a spiritual experience to watch the sun come up on Saturday while I listened for a gobble. We no longer have many birds (at least compared to a decade ago), so I wasn't surprised to just hear one at a distance.

I normally don't have an opportunity to scout ahead of time due to distance to my lease and everyday life. So, I have started on the same ridge for several years. It is a high spot, and normally somewhere in that compartment (our lease is set up in hunt compartments) I can at least hear a distant bird to go to. It is a typical Westvaco type of deal with pines along the ridge top and hardwoods down in the creek bottom. Over the years, I have found the birds to roost in the hardwoods right off the top of the ridge. They putz around for a while after fly down, and usually end up in the creek bottom. I have a tree to set up on that overlooks a flat in the bottom that has given me four longbeards to the call over the years.

But, I am like a moth drawn to a flame hearing a roosted gobbler. I can't help myself thinking that today is the day that I can close the deal at flydown. Sneaking towards the edge of those pines, setting up, and hearing him fly down and start his thing is where hope springs eternal. I can think back on at least six birds that I had close enough to shoot if I could have seen them. When you can hear him spit and drum(at least back when I could hear drumming), and FEEL the percussion from his gobble, you know he is there. I've worn a safety out dealing with them. And, every time, I have lost. I remember seeing one white head for a split second. The rest never popped up. Yes, unfortunately, it is that steep. I finally learned to ignore them off the roost, head low, and call them in at 8-9am. It is a hole, so the carrying would have been much better if I could have closed the deal on top.

This year was different. They are pretty much raping my lease with clear cuts of the pines, and some very non-selective hardwood cuts. It likely bodes well for the deer in the future, but, I highly suspect not so good for the turkeys. They had cut all of the pines off the top of this ridge. So, I eased down to start. I heard one bird way at a distance, but thought I might know where he was roosted. I eased way up the bottom trying to get a gobble with no luck. So, I eased back and set up on my lucky tree. A call or two later I called up an old hen that was PO'd when she couldn't find the hen that had called right above her. She was very vocal as she walked by at 10 ft. I let her make a ruckus hoping her calling might get a gobbler stirred up.

After she worked off, I heard a faint gobble from the top of the ridge. Since there was very little sign in the bottom I decided to head up. My hearing SUCKS, and it is difficult for me to pinpoint gobbles these days. The first time I heard it, I thought it was to my left. Then, as I climbed out, I hear a bird to my right. As I topped out where my truck was parked, I looked up the road to my right and saw one strutting with a hen. I knew that I couldn't call from there with my truck 20 yds away.

So, I ease back down the trail from the bottom and make a loop through the woods. By then, I hear a bird gobbling down in the next hollow. I eased as close as I dared, and set up. Again, I had about 30-35 yards to where it dropped off fast. He answered my first call and cut the distance pretty quick. I had the gun up and safety off getting ready to close the deal. I heard him gobble and spit, and was ready for him to pop up to die. And, just like every time before, he didn't. I am pretty sure he was no further than 35 yds, but he may as well have been 135 for the good it did me. After the silent period, I hear him gobble back where he came from. I suspect it was the bird I saw in the road, and he had that hen with him. I called him up to shooting range three more times over the next half hour without ever seeing him. The last time I held on his last gobble about 15 minutes and never heard another peep. If I had heard him working down the hollow I probably would have been crazy enough to get back down in the bottom, but, I was tired and pissed at that point.

Don't get me wrong. I would rather play the GAME with one like that than shoot one that comes in silent. But, for our true turkey killers on here, what advise do you have to get one to come about five more steps up the hill where I can see that beard. I am tire of losing.

If you made it this far, sorry for the length. Saturday was another blessed day in the turkey woods for me. I would have liked to pull the trigger, but, I got to sit down on one and play, and that has made living out the last year through some covid crap worth the hassle. NEVER take turkey time for granted.
Without being there, it's hard to say. In the situation where he comes back and forth I think you should try moving to where he stops. When he gets to the end of where he goes, call to him some and try to get him headed back to you. Then throw your call behind you so you want use it, and jump up and go sit where you thought he stopped at previously.

Those steep timber company hollows are tough to deal with sometimes.

scn

Something else to consider if this makes sense and the terrain allows is get to where he skirted you and try to call him back. I've been pinned down several times, let the bird work off, get to where he just was, and call him back to take a peak. It doesn't always work but an option in wooded terrain where you can't get in front of him.
Without being there, it's hard to say. In the situation where he comes back and forth I think you should try moving to where he stops. When he gets to the end of where he goes, call to him some and try to get him headed back to you. Then throw your call behind you so you want use it, and jump up and go sit where you thought he stopped at previously.

Those steep timber company hollows are tough to deal with sometimes.
I considered moving up to where I could see down into the steep part, but, it was still pretty open where I was. And, I snuck in pretty tight to start, and, he wasn't moving that far back to get to his original strutt zone. Probably should have moved over way to the right where he came into the fourth time.

Latest posts