Advanced Scenario Help

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
I would try to assess his location and when he moves off a bit try my best to belly crawl up to the offending hill to set up again. Make a call and it'll be over.

I know belly crawling isn't exactly on everyone's ethical list of tactics, but I'd do it in this situation.

huvrman

once You figure he's hung up and not going to move, just sit tight. Call once every 20 minutes or so - just enough to remind him you are there. Sit back get comfortable, and hang out for a few hours. You never know when he'll make a silent approach and poke his head over the crest.

PalsPal

A lot of good advice. But let's be honest, the percentages are VERY low in all of the offered suggestions.

I will mention that I absolutely HATE getting what I call a "courtesy gobble" every 10-20-30 minutes just to let me know that he is still there (and they are usually gobbles NOT in response my call). I'd just as soon as he quit gobbling than to get my hopes up so that I can move on to a more playful gobbling turkey.

Willysman

A lot of good advice. But let's be honest, the percentages are VERY low in all of the offered suggestions.

I will mention that I absolutely HATE getting what I call a "courtesy gobble" every 10-20-30 minutes just to let me know that he is still there (and they are usually gobbles NOT in response my call). I'd just as soon as he quit gobbling than to get my hopes up so that I can move on to a more playful gobbling turkey.
I know exactly what you are talking about. I hate one like that too. Then when he quits gobbling and you think he is gone you stand up and there he is.

Willysman

All of these things that have been said is what makes turkey hunting fun. If we killed everyone that gobbles it wouldn't be a challenge and there wouldn't be many turkeys left.

Grouse

If this is happening consistently on the same property, why not just set up on the bench he is strutting before daylight? I like calling them in as much as anyone else but if he blows me off a couple times but shows me his bubble I'm gonna get in it the next time around. I love listening pre season up until 10 or 11 on different tracts of public. It's super easy to pinpoint where they are gobbling from with a topo map in steep terrain.

timberjack86

If this is happening consistently on the same property, why not just set up on the bench he is strutting before daylight? I like calling them in as much as anyone else but if he blows me off a couple times but shows me his bubble I'm gonna get in it the next time around. I love listening pre season up until 10 or 11 on different tracts of public. It's super easy to pinpoint where they are gobbling from with a topo map in steep terrain.
Excellent advice, I've killed several hard to kill birds observing what they do on a few hunts then being inside the "bubble" the next morning. One series of yelps and the birds have almost ran me over to get to me

Latest posts