Help zeroing red dot

lafn96

Had a stuck choke tube that I tried everything on and couldn't remove, ordered an 18" barrel for my mossberg 500 and put in a Carlson turkey choke. The new barrel isnt ribbed, so I couldn't switch over the sights. Ordered a rail and a vortex viper red dot, sighted in yesterday and it's hitting about 12" high at 20 yds with the red dot maxed out. A little higher at 40 yds.

If I put a shim under the rear of the rail with the red dot mounted at the front of the rail, should that work?

Southern Sportsman

Something definitely doesn't sound right about that. What kind of rail and mount are you using?

One good thing about Vortex, their warranty and customer service are exceptional. I would call them and explain the problem. They may have a suggestion or may swap the sight in case that's the issue.

Remi

Vortex are horrible for getting stuck, run it all the way up than down , back up and half way back down and start over, it sounds dumb but most times it frees it up to let you move it on down

A friend has had 3 and they've all stuck. He called Vortex and they gave him the same instructions and it freed them up.

tntrkkllr

I've never used vortex they aren't as well known for reliability like a Burris, but I would contact vortex for help or switch to a BurrisFF3 to get rid of all issues and still have a life time warranty

lafn96

Something definitely doesn't sound right about that. What kind of rail and mount are you using?

One good thing about Vortex, their warranty and customer service are exceptional. I would call them and explain the problem. They may have a suggestion or may swap the sight in case that's the issue.
The rail is a UTG, and the mount is the one the red dot came with. Called vortex and they're sending me a shim, but I'll have to make a temporary one to sight in hunt this wknd.

tnanh

Vortex are horrible for getting stuck, run it all the way up than down , back up and half way back down and start over, it sounds dumb but most times it frees it up to let you move it on down
This works on a lot of red dots. Smack it hard with the palm of your hand several times while running it up and down also.

MickThompson

Had a stuck choke tube that I tried everything on and couldn't remove, ordered an 18" barrel for my mossberg 500 and put in a Carlson turkey choke. The new barrel isnt ribbed, so I couldn't switch over the sights. Ordered a rail and a vortex viper red dot, sighted in yesterday and it's hitting about 12" high at 20 yds with the red dot maxed out. A little higher at 40 yds.

If I put a shim under the rear of the rail with the red dot mounted at the front of the rail, should that work?
I think you need to shim the front end of your rail to raise your point of aim to meet point of impact

tnanh

I've never used vortex they aren't as well known for reliability like a Burris, but I would contact vortex for help or switch to a BurrisFF3 to get rid of all issues and still have a life time warranty
Burris gets stuck too. I have had to do the same fix with two of them.

rem270

I came here to say this but the guy who fixed mine already told you! I would try this. I have to try and zero my cousins this afternoon and hope I don't run into this issue.

Southern Sportsman

I've never had one "stick," so I don't know exactly what that entails. Does the dot still move, but not as much as it should? Or not move at all?

If you look through the sight while turning the dial, can you see the dot move?

Latest posts