Red Dot Sight Info

MR Yote

Any recommendations and what size dot is best for turkeys? Red or Green? Looking for something under $200. Thanks in advance.

Rakkin6

3 moa for me also, I have only hunted using the red dot never used a green. Some say the red sometimes is hard to pick up in sunlight. Personally I haven't had this issue. For under $200 check out the Swampfox Kingslayer.

TheLBLman

Lots of people are shooting the 3MOA Burris Fastfire 3 including myself and son. It will run you a tad over $200.
I can highly recommend the Burris Fastfire line.
Personally, in an ideal world, I believe a 4 to 5 moa "dot" might be the most ideal size for turkey hunting. But something larger, like an 8mm, is just too large (covers/hides too much of the target).

If you have "older" eyes, you may do better with a low magnification traditional scope, such as a 2 to 3x "shotgun" riflescope. Each type optic has a place, depending on applications and shooter's circumstances.

Because of aging eyes, I'll probably replace the Burris Fastfire on my 20ga "run & gun" turkey gun with a traditional scope soon.

deerfever

I have a couple Swampfox Kingslayer in green circle dot. For some reason the green seem to show up better to my eyes. Nothing at all wrong with the red I have used them also. 3 moa seems to what most people use for turkey hunting.

TRHC

I believe the choice with the FF3 is either 3 MOA or 8 MOA
I have one of each and have no issues using either one. In my mind, the 3 should be better, but the 8 is perfectly fine for turkey noggins. I wouldn't pass one up just because of that if it was a deal.

CHRIS WILSON

I guess I'm the odd ball out. I have a 2 MOA, AT3 Tactical, RD-50 red dot on my 20 gauge turkey gun. It's been rock solid. Depending on your eyes, a 3 MOA dot may be easier/quicker to pickup on. The Burris Fastfire series is nice. I don't feel you can go wrong with a 3 MOA, FF3.

david k.

I have the Burris FF3 with 3 MOA dots on 2 shotguns which at 50 yards equals about 1.5"...or about the same size as a turkeys head.

If you go that route, check out the bases for the FF3 from Sumtoy Customs, you can find them on FB or at https://www.sumtoycustoms.com/ ) they make for a super slick, low profile mount.

Here is a pic of one.

Last edited:

deerfever

What are yalls thoughts on the meadow creek rib mounts? Are they reliable, and hold zero?
Easy as pie! Seems very sturdy and seems to me target acquisition will be easy. I bought the combo because I didn't have an extra sight. I will try to shoot it some over the three day weekend. I like how you can just reach up to turn the sight on with you left thumb which will already be on the forearm anyway.

Attachments

• IMG_20230113_174106094.jpg
    IMG_20230113_174106094.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_20230113_173459239.jpg
    IMG_20230113_173459239.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 57

MR Yote

Easy as pie! Seems very sturdy and seems to me target acquisition will be easy. I bought the combo because I didn't have an extra sight. I will try to shoot it some over the three day weekend. I like how you can just reach up to turn the sight on with you left thumb which will already be on the forearm anyway.
Thank you for the info sir. Hopefully I'll have one on the way soon. Good luck this season.

Latest posts