red dot sights

TheLBLman

I couldn't see him well enough to really pick out his head as he eased off through some pretty thick stuff. With one of my Leupolds or Nikons I am pretty sure that I could have closed the deal. I won't make that mistake again.
Exactly.
Another advantage is being able to more clearly see everything right near and behind the bird you're trying to shoot.

This has prevented some collateral damage for me. Sometimes, you just don't see a hen in the background without clear & magnifying optics. It's actually amazing how much better one can "see" things with only a low 2x magnification.

Bgoodman30

Had the FF3 before the Holosun 507. Prefer the Holosun by a mile for several reasons. FF3 cost me a bird when the battery died mid hunt so I'm a little bitter. lol

megalomaniac

I went with the vortex venom, 3MOA 5 or 6 seasons ago and havent had a bit of trouble out of it. Love it due to its small field of view, as I'm in the crowd that keeps both eyes open while shooting and need to see what's in my periphery while still focused on that red head.

TheLBLman

Love it due to its small field of view, as I'm in the crowd that keeps both eyes open while shooting and need to see what's in my periphery while still focused on that red head.
Totally understand that.
However, with a small-footprint 1.5x traditional scope (assuming quality glass), the field of view is tremendous, you can still see around it enough, but the clarity of the target, background, and things nearby is also tremendously better than any red dot optic.

Bgoodman30

Totally understand that.
However, with a small-footprint 1.5x traditional scope (assuming quality glass), the field of view is tremendous, you can still see around it enough, but the clarity of the target, background, and things nearby is also tremendously better than any red dot optic.

I have considered this route because my eyes aren't as good as they used to be....