HELP- Savage 7mag/Remington shell case bulge/split

bigtex

Pic IN the Casa said:
.270 it is. Funny thing is I don't even own a 270. The box had six 270 rounds and the rest were 7mags.

Only thing I can figure is I bought a box of ammo that somebody threw 270 ammo in to make a whole box and then returned it. Box says 7mm mag. Unbelieveable!!! I would've either bought it at BPS or Wal Mart.

Serious lesson learned- Check the ammo- don't trust the box.

Thank you Jesus.

Now- am I safe to shoot the gun or should I have it checked????
Since it was a .270 that is probably the best case scenario as the .270 bullet is a little smaller that a 7MM [.280]
Personally, if your rifle shows no signs of damage, [bulged receiver etc] I would shoot it. Just my opinion, you do what makes you feel safe. Personally I think if the gun was going to fail it would of already done so.
Glad your ok.

280longshot

Wow
Thank God you didn't get hurt!
I always look at the caliber on the shells just to verify the correct bullets, expecially if you own similar calibers like 280,270, or 30-06. Calibers like 270 and 7mm Remington Mag. should be a dead give away, big difference.
I do realize as you get older just like me, the eyes aren't like they used to be anymore. I have to use readers now just to verify calibers> stamped on the bottom. It's heck getting older.

FULLDRAWXX75

Personally, for safety & piece of mind sake........I would either look it over really really good, looking for stress crackes in the chamber, nicks/chips in the entry lands or damage to the bolt face.

My concern would be the reaction the empty space around the case/chamber had on the chamber during detination.

If you are not comfortable making the decision yourself, take it to a qualified gunsmith and tell them what happened.

FDXX75

Pic IN the Casa

Just had it checked- all good.

Savage (at least this model) has a gas port to allow for such an instance.

BigD- I have a friend that is a mgr at a walmart and he told me that, until recently, they did take unopened boxes back. He told me that some stores only do for exchanges and some flat out don't anymore.

He has a lot of great stories about things people have tried to pull over on them.

BigD_625

Pic IN the Casa said:
Just had it checked- all good.

Savage (at least this model) has a gas port to allow for such an instance.

BigD- I have a friend that is a mgr at a walmart and he told me that, until recently, they did take unopened boxes back. He told me that some stores only do for exchanges and some flat out don't anymore.

He has a lot of great stories about things people have tried to pull over on them.

Good to know...no more wal-mart ammo. LOL

Latest posts