HELP- Savage 7mag/Remington shell case bulge/split

Pic IN the Casa

I'll try to be brief.

Haven't picked up my Savage 7mag since last year. I had three rounds in the removeable clip (stored separately). Put the clip in and all three rounds fired perfect (within 4 inches of each other).

Went to load the clip again and the spring worked but would not click into lower position when I loaded the rounds.

So I loaded them manually into the chamber and let the bolt push them in.

Fisrt shot was a hangfire. Next two the casings were either bulged or bulged/split when fired.

Gun is only 4 y/o and haven't ran more than 4 boxes of ammo through it.

I shoot Rem Core-locked ammo. What I was shooting today was bought last year about this time.

I shoot Rem Core-lokt ammo. The bulge/split are near the bottom at the belt (I believe it's called).

Is this an ammo problem or chamber problem????
I really don't want to shoot this gun again until I get the problems solved.

FULLDRAWXX75

How did the bolt feel when locking it in place with the damaged rounds???

I would contact Remington immediately with the batch & run #'s and tell them what is going on.

FDXX75

Pic IN the Casa

7magprimer.jpg

7magbulge.jpg

Quality isn't the best.

First three are ones that fired right.

Kimberman

mr.big said:
I have been lucky I guess,the worst I ever did was a 260 round in a 308,,

I made the same mistake with a 243 in a 358. The neck split in about 6 places and straitened out. Sounded like a 22 mag when it went off.

FULLDRAWXX75

bigtex said:
FULLDRAWXX75 said:
Jcalder said:
Looks like 270 or 30-06 brass on the right.

I would suspect the .270, I doubt the 06 would go down the pipe.

FDXX75
Could be 7MM Mauser.

I mentioned that on the General Forum thread about this..............
I walked into a ammo shop once and asked for a box of 7 mil ammo, the guy bagged it and I paid him and walked out, got all the way home to find 7mm Mauser, not 7mm rem mag. I should have been more specific, he should have known enough to ask, but it happens.

FDXX75

BigD_625

FULLDRAWXX75 said:
bigtex said:
FULLDRAWXX75 said:
Jcalder said:
Looks like 270 or 30-06 brass on the right.

I would suspect the .270, I doubt the 06 would go down the pipe.

FDXX75
Could be 7MM Mauser.

I mentioned that on the General Forum thread about this..............
I walked into a ammo shop once and asked for a box of 7 mil ammo, the guy bagged it and I paid him and walked out, got all the way home to find 7mm Mauser, not 7mm rem mag. I should have been more specific, he should have known enough to ask, but it happens.

FDXX75

Saw a guy on FB selling a 7mm Rem Mag with 2 boxes of 7mm wby ammo. I sent him a PM to let him know, so he could pull the ammo.

bigtex

BigD_625 said:
I think we should take bets. LOL My money is on the .280,
50 cents? lol.
Either way .280 or 7MM Mauser. Either one shoots a 7MM bullet. The .270 would go down the barrell but it would rattle a little bit. ;)
Thank God it wasn't a .30 Caliber, that could of been nasty if it had chambered.

FULLDRAWXX75

I am curious as to how the incorrect shells got extracted from the chamber???

I doubt it happened by just opening the bolt and it shucked them out???? That should have been a clear sign after the first one, something was wrong......................

Not to mention, if you saw the first shell in that condition, Why on God's green earth would you drop a second one down the tube without investigating first.

Now I am curious as to why he is not posting a reply with the answer to the question...................What caliber were those cases???? Really!!!!!!!

FDXX75

Pic IN the Casa

.270 it is. Funny thing is I don't even own a 270. The box had six 270 rounds and the rest were 7mags.

Only thing I can figure is I bought a box of ammo that somebody threw 270 ammo in to make a whole box and then returned it. Box says 7mm mag. Unbelieveable!!! I would've either bought it at BPS or Wal Mart.

Serious lesson learned- Check the ammo- don't trust the box.

Thank you Jesus.

Now- am I safe to shoot the gun or should I have it checked????

Latest posts