Hedge apple / Osage orange and deer...

Mike Belt

I think it's dependent on the local. I haven't seen them eat them much here in west Tn but down around Ackerman Ms tey eat them on a regular basis.

TNTreeman

I don't think they eat them as a preferred food source but i watched several eat from my oat patch to privet leaves, bodock fruit and then end up in my standing corn . This was mid December. My observation is they may eat a portion of some on the ground and then move on to something else. Maybe they provide something in digestion or something . I've always heard you can put them in crawl spaces and barns to repel spiders and other than popping they are one of the hottest burning woods there is along with locust.

sallee-bo

I've seen deer, squirrels, and birds feed on them. Like acorn said, weeks to a month after they've fallen.... nothing will touch them when they are rock hard right off the tree.

I dont think its a good browse vs bad browse thing that influences whether they eat them. They seem to be low on their preference list, but eat them every year on my farms.

Probably like people.... every once in a while I get a craving for liver... maybe once or twice a year.
Whew... I never get a craving for liver. 😃

usanglure

Chickasaw National Wildlife Refuge in Lauderdale County is covered with the trees, thats part of the reason it was saved. There have been some monsters up there over the years... They love those hedge apples up there...

Lost Lake

The name " bois de arc" is where we get bodock. Comes from the French seeing the Indians making bows from them . It's "arc of the bow " in French or something similar.
It's a French word for "Wood of the Bow". The early trappers noticed that the Osage Indians preferred this wood for their bows. It's native to the Red River drainage of Oklahoma and Kansas, down into Texas. I love it for my bows as well.

It was transplanted here years ago to be used as natural fence rows, mainly on large Plantations. It's almost impossible to kill off once it takes hold. After it was planted in long rows as fence lines, it can be trimmed back every so often, and "suckers" will come back on the stumps, and the row will be even thicker and thornier.

The branches can be trimmed and bunched up tightly and used as livestock corrals if needed. I've heard that the Confederates in Franklin used that tactic as barriers against the Union.

A few of the farms I used to hunt and collect it from are full of it, and on occasion, I have noticed deer eating the fruit.

Jon54

If you are coming to the Jackson area, give me some notice and I will try to cut you a branch or two. If I can find a straight one.
The few sticks I've used for hiking sticks I bought on EBay. Maybe I'll trade some 22 ammo for a good straight one. I go to Henderson every now and then

KPH

It makes great fence post and will last over a 100 years. My dad always called it bodock and was his only go to fence post. Him and I put up a fence with them I know over 60 years ago and a few years ago I went by there and it was still tanding

BigAl

My dad always told an old hunting story about hearing something weird in the woods. When he was finally able to locate the source of the sound, it was a buck busting them up with his hooves by stomping on them and then eating them.

Emmet

The few sticks I've used for hiking sticks I bought on EBay. Maybe I'll trade some 22 ammo for a good straight one. I go to Henderson every now and then
Just give me some notice. I know there is one tree about a 10 min walk behind my house.