Have your Kee Kee call ready for the fall season ?

Kelljp

I use to take a bird when bowhunting deer as a bonus, but hadn't done that in a long time. But I can't pass up the chance to call a gobbler in to a shotgun. If anything it more rewarding than a spring lovesick bird. Once the flock is identified the game is on but instead of trying to sound like a hen I try to make gobbler calls as a challenge. Usually they are in bachelor groups and you attempt to start a dispute with the dominant gobbler. It's amazing how vocal they can be this time of year.

Kelljp

Hunters in the past have said it better than I ever could, here's some quotes from some legendary fall turkey hunters that grew up reading about.

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.
—Archibald Rutledge

You don't hunt turkeys because you want to; you hunt turkeys because you have to. I would, really, rather not. I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion.
--Tom Kelly

Turkey hunting is a disease, you'll do it to you die. -- Ben Lee

Setterman

I don't have a problem with a man killing a fall gobbler. I haven't done it in years but it's a different kind of rush when you yelp one in during the fall season. Plus it's not as easy to take a fall gobbler in the fall with a full strut decoy.
I have no doubt it's cool And truly don't judge people doing it. It's a skill set that I have none of and don't really care to learn

Kelljp

I hear what your saying, but once you figure out how to hunt them other than with blinds and ambush setups, the rush is as good as it gets when a tom gets in range.Busting the flock and trying to find a hide while establish ing a conversation is hard to describe, gobbler gangs often take an hour to reassemble, but its worth waiting. I've seen flocks of scattered toms and jakes gobbling, strutting as they regrouped. It's as good as anything in spring.
Plus all that time in the woods allows you to improve your turkey vocabulary.

woodsman04

I hear what your saying, but once you figure out how to hunt them other than with blinds and ambush setups, the rush is as good as it gets when a tom gets in range.Busting the flock and trying to find a hide while establish ing a conversation is hard to describe, gobbler gangs often take an hour to reassemble, but its worth waiting. I've seen flocks of scattered toms and jakes gobbling, strutting as they regrouped. It's as good as anything in spring.
Plus all that time in the woods allows you to improve your turkey vocabulary.
You can hear so much more vocalizing in the fall. Sometimes the giant gobbler groups of 1-1/2 year olds fly down and fight and gobble for 30 minutes before they finally quit and begin feeding.
I do not hunt hens and poults, but they are really fun to listen to at daylight. Or if they are scattered.

The older gobblers rarely make a sound though unless you bust them up.

I sure do enjoy hunting them in the hardwoods in the fall. Too bad it's a dying tradition and getting harder and harder to find spots to go.

The negative to me, imo, is they are sort of ugly. Not full plumaged, molting, uneven and ugly feathers. And a longbeard in spring might weigh 18-21 lbs. In the fall he'll only weigh 15-16 lbs with very small breast meat.

Kelljp

Know what you mean, as I get older busting them at fly down gets harder. They really tend to get vocal if you can split them up when they hit the ground.. I probably learn more turkey notes and cadence in the fall than any other time. A note on the positive, while scouting this morning I saw a hen group with 10 plus poults and later five gobblers in a second group.