Your Thoughts On Season Start Date!

Bgoodman30

Contrast this conversation with the CWD one- turkeys are declining so the TRW better do something, anything, maybe everything to fix it.

CWD? Meh, it's just another government conspiracy to end hunting and make billions

Moral of the story here is the government can't fix it...

woodsman04

Overall I like it more than dislike. It absolutely helps more breeding to occur. I don't see how that could even be an argument. Does it help with population? I don't know yet. So I won't state an opinion.

I do think it helps save turkeys that are bunched up early season that frequent ag fields and cow pastures. People cannot stick a strutter decoy up on opening day and double or triple with their buddies on a 30 minute hunt with no effort. Yea it can still happen mid season but the birds are more spread out and more hens are bred.

I like it for the resource. I hate it personally because it's less hunting opportunity. Oh well, the resource is more important.

Bgoodman30

Lots of issues just can't be addressed by changing a regulation but blaming "THEM" is much easier than us taking the initiative and fixing what's broken

I don't blame anyone really. I think a lot has to do with simple economics of agriculture, technology advances, fur commodities also the natural leveling off of a population boom.

Texan11285

Ive seen lots of hunters who are seeing good numbers of turkeys this past year but some who are not seeing a increase in the population.My county is not seeing a increase at least among hunters that I know.What are your thoughts on the April 15 opening,do you think alot more hens are getting bred with the 2 week delay to opening season?Im for anything that benefits the turkey population,a one gobbler season would be fine with me.Your thoughts!
This is on the TWRA website. Was it moved to the 15th? I come here to glean and learn as much as I can from you fellas. I've never hunted turkey before but would like to try this year.

Attachments

• IMG_8545.jpeg
    IMG_8545.jpeg
    81.5 KB · Views: 16

megalomaniac

This is on the TWRA website. Was it moved to the 15th? I come here to glean and learn as much as I can from you fellas. I've never hunted turkey before but would like to try this year.
Sort of...

The current season opening is 'the Saturday closest to April 15th' which means it varies from year to year from around April 11th until April 18th or so depending on how the calendar falls.

Texan11285

Sort of...

The current season opening is 'the Saturday closest to April 15th' which means it varies from year to year from around April 11th until April 18th or so depending on how the calendar falls.
Oh, I see. Glad I came across this thread. I moved here from Texas and still trying to figure all the new seasons and laws. I love to deer hunt but I've never had to deal with this CWD. Deer season in Texas starts first weekend in November. If November 1st falls on a Sunday, it won't start till the following saturday. I hadn't given turkey hunting any thought until I went to pull my sd cards from some private family land that I deer hunted. Walked up on some turkeys on my way in then they were back in that area on my way out. Then I viewed my pics and saw them. Thinking of setting up my game cams in those areas. So I guess I will help out the economy and get some turkey hunting gear.

ROVERBOY

The later opening date will probably help some with getting more hens bred before a lot of the gobblers take a truck ride. But, there's not a lot of birds around my area anymore. We had more 15 years ago than now. It's sad.

Latest posts