Post Juvy Thoughts

Urban_Hunter

Saw a lot early each day, fate just wouldn't align with success for us.

1- If you're in favor of having more turkeys, the delayed opener will be beneficial. The ag fields are already knee high in weeds, by next weekend you'll be pressed to not overlook them in the fields.

2. The hens are deep into nesting. Lots of single hens once the sun gets up.

3. Once they get out of sight from fly down, they are abducted by aliens until the next morning.

4. Once again, I will advocate against the guys who hate decoys. I won't advocate "for decoys", only against the guys who are against them. Had my strutting Jake in front of no less than 6 Tom's- 2 on Saturday and 4 on Sunday. They wouldn't even look at it. For it to be opening weekend of juvy I really expected at least one interaction from a male turkey. Only a couple curious hens came close to it

Setterman

Saw a lot early each day, fate just wouldn't align with success for us.

1- If you're in favor of having more turkeys, the delayed opener will be beneficial. The ag fields are already knee high in weeds, by next weekend you'll be pressed to not overlook them in the fields.

2. The hens are deep into nesting. Lots of single hens once the sun gets up.

3. Once they get out of sight from fly down, they are abducted by aliens until the next morning.

4. Once again, I will advocate against the guys who hate decoys. I won't advocate "for decoys", only against the guys who are against them. Had my strutting Jake in front of no less than 6 Tom's- 2 on Saturday and 4 on Sunday. They wouldn't even look at it. For it to be opening weekend of juvy I really expected at least one interaction from a male turkey. Only a couple curious hens came close to it
With the delay you're encountering more birds post break up and dominance being established. Hence the reason some are less inclined to fight. The dominant birds have reclused up with their harems and those hens aren't coming anywhere near other hens for a few weeks.

If it was like before when the season opened late march you would've seen much more aggression towards the plastic turkey

Southern Sportsman

With the delay you're encountering more birds post break up and dominance being established. Hence the reason some are less inclined to fight. The dominant birds have reclused up with their harems and those hens aren't coming anywhere near other hens for a few weeks.

If it was like before when the season opened late march you would've seen much more aggression towards the plastic turkey
Agree, and this alone is enough for me to support the delay. It will save a lot of turkeys that would be killed charging a jake or strutter decoy on day one of the early opener.

Latest posts