Have hens EVER been legal to hunt with bow?

MickThompson

For the bragging, I guess.
Back in the golden days when turkeys were thought to be inexhaustible, some counties had a 6 bird fall limit IIRC. There were a few dedicated individuals that I heard of that tried their best to fill as many as possible. I hardly think that is what has us in the situation we are in now but it definitely could've caused some local issues.

hitek7

I would have no problem shooting some hens on our place if legal. The turkeys are taking over and destroy our fields after planting. I can drive right up to them on atv or tractor.

redblood

Well the problem with archery turkeys for me from a tree is it's takes a few to learn where to hit them. I hate to think of the death a few gobblers had from me hitting meat only and no organs. Seems like it's an easy target but for every one I have killed from a tree I have hit 2 in the breast and they probably died of infection. Ground blind seems like the best way to go for archery.
No doubt

fairchaser

I took a hen with a bow some years ago during bow season when it was legal. I was gonna get her mounted with a gobbler. Never did follow through. It was several years later that I got my gobbler.

Oldways

I believe that up until a few years ago in Tennessee, Hens without beards could be legally shot with a bow.

SaltwaterWalt

Everybody has different likes that trips their trigger. Mine is bowhunting. I mostly use traditional gear so to even get a shot at a turkey within my personal limitation of 20 yards, a shot at a turkey is rare. It's even more rare when you can only shoot toms.

I get it about keeping a healthy population of hens to lay eggs, but I wonder how many survive the winter anyway with depredation from coyotes, bobcats and foxes. I would think the number of turkeys taken by bowhunters would be extremely low.

Joe2Kool

As said above, hens were legal several years ago. Don't recall the county bag limit of 6, but in the counties where legal today, it's 1 bearded turkey per county! Makes no sense to me. Spring limit is 2 birds and the fall limit is technically about 75!! WTH?? Sounds like a loophole to me!

deerhunter10

As said above, hens were legal several years ago. Don't recall the county bag limit of 6, but in the counties where legal today, it's 1 bearded turkey per county! Makes no sense to me. Spring limit is 2 birds and the fall limit is technically about 75!! WTH?? Sounds like a loophole to me!
Shouldn't be any in the fall at all.

double browtine

I shot one years ago with my bow when it was legal. I filleted the breast out, soaked it in buttermilk for a few hours and then deepf fried it. It was really tough. It was the last hen I ever shot. She was the biggest in the group so I guess she was really old.

DeerCamp

Has Tn ever allowed hens being taken by archery equipment in fall?

Had this discussion with a friend from Ky who showed me their regs that allow for a hen to be taken with bow and arrow. I've always thought Tn was bearded bird only, regardless of weapon. Can't really find anything on the internet if Tn ever did have a hen season. They only show bearded birds only.
Yup. My first turkey ever was a hen with a bow. It was a fun, challenging hunt.

But I wouldn't shoot a hen now. I think legally that went away around 2019.

Latest posts